This Is The Army
This film splashy all-star patriotic musical features the music of Irving Berlin.
|SPRING SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 Alpha DVDs for $39.90
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 31, 2004
- Originally Released: 1943
- Label: Alpha Video
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||George Murphy, Joan Leslie, Ronald Reagan, Kate Smith & Alan Hale|
|Performer:||Charles Butterworth, Dolores Costello & Joe Louis|
|Directed by||Michael Curtiz|
|Edited by||George Amy|
|Music by||Irving Berlin|
|Screenplay by||Casey Robinson & Claude Binyon|
|Composition by||Leo F. Forbstein|
|Cinematography by||Bert Glennon & Sol Polito|
|Art Direction by||John Hughes|
|Produced by||Jack L. Warner & Hal B. Wallis|
Academy Awards 1943 - Best Adapted or Musical Song/Score: Ray Heindorf
Rating: 4/5 -- A great Fourth of July movie, big and bold and proud. Full Review
Rating: 6/10 -- It's never less than fascinating, and there's a lot to be said for the kind of weird history lesson movies like this represent. Full Review
Antagony & Ecstasy
Rating: B- -- As American as apple pie. Full Review
Ozus' World Movie Reviews
Description by OLDIES.com:
A handsome, young Ronald Reagan stars as Johnny Jones in the lavish World War II pep rally, This Is The Army. Johnny is a strapping young lad torn between his strong sense of military duty and his burning passion for girlfriend Eileen Dibble (Joan Leslie). Uncle Sam's call to arms against Germany and Japan is too great and so Johnny sadly tells his lover that she must wait until after the war to become Mrs. Jones. Eileen then spurns her beau when he is inducted into the unit producing the soldier show, "This Is The Army." With Johnny's legendary song and dance star father, Jerry Jones (George Murphy), supervising the production, the make-shift troop of actors successfully rehearses a stage show of Irving Berlin's most famous showstoppers including "Oh, How I Hate To Get Up In The Morning!" and "God Bless America."
From Michael Curtiz, the talented director of Casablanca and Yankee Doodle Dandy, This Is The Army is a glance back into the hopes, fears and dreams of the "greatest generation."
Irving Berlin's musical tribute, THIS IS THE ARMY, honors the patriotic efforts of American soldiers during World Wars I and II. Berlin appears as himself, as does singer Kate Smith, who delivers a rousing rendition of "God Bless America" for which she received the Congressional Gold Medal. Academy Awards: Best Scoring of a Musical Picture.
- All the money raised from this film and the original stage production was donated to the Army Emergency Relief Fund. Warner Bros. waived its right to all profits. Many of the people who worked on the film gave their services for free.
- Songs featured: "This is the Army, Mr. Jones," "The Army's Made a Man Out of Me," "Oh, How I Hate to Get Up in the Morning," "God Bless America," "Mandy," ""I'm Getting Tired So I Can Sleep," "What the Well-Dressed Man in Harlem Will Wear," "Give a Cheer for the Navy," "I Left My Heart at the Stage Door Canteen," "American Eagles," "Poor Little Me, I'm on K.P.," "Your Country and My Country," "My Sweetie," "We're On Our Way to France," "What Does He Look Like," "Hunting Story," "Ladies of the Chorus," "With My Head in the Clouds," "This Time Is the Last Time."
- Irving Berlin was awarded the "Medal of Merit" for both the film and the musical on which it is based.
- Singer Kate Smith received the Congressional Gold Medal for her rendition of "God Bless America."
- Actor Ronald Reagan was a real-life army lieutenant at the time.
- Feature film debut for actors Warner Anderson and Henry Jones.
- Last screen appearance for actress Dolores Costello.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Additional credits: Robert Sidney (dances), Natalie Kalmus and Richard Mueller (Technicolor directors).
- Gertrude Niesen performs "Your Country and My Country."
The Sound of Music (50th Anniversary Ed.) (Blu-ray)
$22.60 Super Savings
- Sales Rank: 17,808
- UPC: 089218603197
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 Spring Sale
Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful... TOP 10 Bestseller
$5.95 Spring Sale
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up... TOP 10 Bestseller
$2.38 Spring Sale
Sexpots From Space Double Feature: Voyage To The Planet of... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$5.95 Spring Sale
WWI - 100th Anniversary Collection: 20 Documentaries (6-DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$4.98 Spring Sale
The Treasure of Jamaica Reef (1974) / Piranha (1972) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$5.95 Spring Sale