Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 3 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 4, 2011
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by Oliver Stone
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Sissy Spacek, Joe Pesci & Tommy Lee Jones|
|Performer:||Kevin Bacon, Laurie Metcalf, Michael Rooker, Jay O. Sanders, Jack Lemmon, Sally Kirkland, Ed Asner, Brian Doyle-Murray, Walter Matthau, John Candy & Donald Sutherland|
|Directed by||Oliver Stone|
|Edited by||Pietro Scalia & Joe Hutshing|
|Screenwriting by||Oliver Stone & Zachary Sklar|
|Composition by||John Williams|
|Subject:||John F. Kennedy|
|Produced by||Oliver Stone, A. Kitman Ho, Clayton Townsend, Arnon Milchan & Kevin Reidy|
|Director of Photography:||Robert Richardson|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Let justice be done though the heavens fall."
- Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner)
Academy Awards 1991 - Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson
Rating: 2.5/5 -- The film's insurmountable problem is the vast amount of material it fails to make coherent sense of.
New York Times
Rating: 4/4 -- It's damn entertaining and thought-provoking. Full Review
Sad to say, Oliver Stone's three hours of bombast did little to raise the level of discussion. Full Review
...Gripping and thought-provoking stuff...
As speculation, JFK is riveting. As proof, it's bunk. Stone has turned what he considers the crime of the century into a disturbing anomaly -- a dishonest search for truth.
JFK is so effective that regardless of one's agreement or disagreement with the conclusions director Stone draws from his considerable research, there is simply no denying its success as a work of remarkable persuasive power. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
Oliver Stone's self-proclaimed "countermyth," JFK mocks the doubtful veracity of the Warren Commission's findings on the Kennedy assassination and summarizes some of the myriad theories that have been proposed in its contest. Focusing on the investigation by New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison (Kevin Costner) into the activities of the FBI and other government agencies as well as their attempted cover-ups, Stone weaves fact and speculation into a compelling argument for the reopening of the case files. Garrison begins to investigate local links to the assassination, including Clay Shaw (Tommy Lee Jones), David Ferrie (Joe Pesci), Guy Bannister (Ed Asner), Perry Russo (Kevin Bacon), and Lee Harvey Oswald (Gary Oldman). When the accounts of Ferrie, Russo, and others almost invariably diverge from the FBI versions of events, Garrison begins to suspect a cover-up. Widening his net, he interviews many of the original assassination witnesses and again finds little that coincides with the government's record. Combining interviews with an analysis of the physical evidence, Garrison's team posits the existence of a conspiracy to kill the president. A mysterious Col. X (Donald Sutherland) implies the orchestration of the conspiracy at the highest levels of government, and Garrison is ready to go to trial. Stone deploys video, different film stocks shot at varying speeds, and a dizzying style of montage while harnessing the talents of a large and extraordinary cast to create a film of undeniable power and excitement.
Justice | Betrayal | Murder | Assassination | Recommended | Theatrical Release | Conspiracy Theories | Essential Cinema
- Theatrical release date: December 20, 1991.
- The film began shooting April 15, 1991 and completed shooting July 30, 1991.
- The Director's Cut contains additional scenes (some as long as 8 minutes) and the extension of some original scenes.
- Shot on location in Dallas, Texas; New Orleans, Lousiana; and Washington, DC.
- Estimated budget: $35-40 million.
- Author Jim Garrison makes a cameo appearance as Earl Warren.
- The CIA opened some of their assassination files in response to Stone's allegations.
- Sales Rank: 652
- UPC: 883929153183
- Shipping Weight: 0.13/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item