|BLACK FRIDAY:||$11.70 Sale ends Nov 29|
|You Save:||$3.29 (22% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 19, 2004
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Touchstone / Disney
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Music Video
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary: Including Tim Burton - Director; Martin Landau - Star; Scott Alexander, Larry Karazewski - Writers; Colleen Atwood - Costume Designer
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- PIE PLATES OVER HOLLYWOOD
- MAKING BELLA
- THE THEREMIN
- LET'S SHOOT THIS F#*%@R
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Johnny Depp, Sarah Jessica Parker, Bill Murray & Martin Landau|
|Performer:||Patricia Arquette, Jeffrey Jones, G.D. Spradlin, Vincent D'Onofrio, Mike Starr, Max Casella, Lisa Marie, Juliet Landau, Clive Rosengren, Ned Bellamy, Danny Dayton, Bill Cusack, Biff Yeager, Joseph R. Gannascoli, Melora Walters & Conrad Brooks|
|Directed by||Tim Burton|
|Edited by||Chris Lebenzon|
|Screenwriting by||Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski|
|Composition by||Howard Shore|
|Cinematography by||Stefan Czapsky|
|Subject:||Edward D. Wood, Jr.|
|Produced by||Denise Di Novi & Tim Burton|
|Executive Production by||Michael Lehmann|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'm the first celebrity that ever checked into rehab." Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi
Academy Awards 1994 - Best Supporting Actor: Martin Landau
...Burton's very good film about a very bad film maker....[Depp] gives a witty and captivating performance, bringing wonderful buoyancy to this crazy role...
New York Times
Rating: 4/5 -- A good story about the (out) of the star system in Hollywood in 1950's. [Full Review in Spanish] Full Review
Burton imitates Wood 's films brilliantly, and Wood 's chaotic lifestyle is brought to the screen with brio. Full Review
Rating: 3/4 -- Outrageously disjointed and just as outrageously entertaining, the picture stands as a successful outsider's tribute to a failed kindred spirit.
Rating: 3/5 -- Depp-led cult-director bio delves into cross-dressing, kink. Full Review
Common Sense Media
...Deft enough to satisfy high-culture and low-culture aficionados alike...
It certainly succeeds as a funny, touching tribute to tenacity, energy, ambition and friendship. Full Review
A stranger-than-fiction true story of the early career of Edward D. Wood, Jr., the undisputed "worst movie director of all time," Tim Burton's ED WOOD is nevertheless a delightful, zany, and ultimately moving film. Wood was the auteur behind GLEN OR GLENDA' (1953) and PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE (1959), and it is during the making of these two no-budget flicks that Wood is profiled. His friendship with the aging, drug-addicted, former film star Bela Lugosi--who he cast in his movies--is one of the most poignant characters ever portrayed on film. Wood had an infectious enthusiasm which inspired his cohorts, including transsexual wannabe Bunny (Bill Murray), the psychic Criswell (Jeffrey Jones), and behemoth wrestler Tor Johnson (George "The Animal" Steele). To a large extent, ED WOOD celebrates bad filmmaking raised to the level of a fine art form. With his fetishistic style of dressing in for pumps, narrow skirts and angora sweaters, Ed Wood was as much of an outsider as his actors. Perhaps the final irony is that ED WOOD may be one of the best films of all time about one of the worst filmmakers of all time.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
From Tim Burton, acclaimed director of BIG FISH, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and BATMAN, and the producer of THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS, comes the hilarious, true-life story of the wackiest filmmaker in Hollywood history, Ed Wood! Johnny Depp (PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, CHOCOLAT, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS) stars as the high-spirited movieman who refuses to let unfinished scenes, terrible reviews, and hostile studio executives derail his big-screen dreams. With an oddball collection of showbiz misfits, Ed takes the art of bad moviemaking to an all-time low! The all-star cast features Bill Murray (LOST IN TRANSLATION, THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS), Sarah Jessica Parker (TV's SEX AND THE CITY), Patricia Arquette (STIGMATA, LITTLE NICKY), and an Academy Award(R)-winning performance by Martin Landau (Best Supporting Actor, 1994) as Bela Lugosi. Hailed by critics everywhere, this laugh-packed comedy hit is sure to entertain everyone!
Cult Film | Science-Fiction | True Story | Vampires | Zombies | Mishaps | Recommended | Character Study | Showbiz | Theatrical Release | Cult | Horror Classic | Film About Film | Filmmakers | Filmmaking | Film Directors | Horror Movies
- Theatrical Release: September 28, 1994
- Martin Landau won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi.
- PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE never did play at Hollywood's Pantages Theatre to a receptive audience; today it's widely cited as one of the worst films ever made.
- In real life, Wood languished in obscurity, his devoted wife Kathy at his side, until his death in 1978. A few years later, a cult following sprang up around his work.
- Tim Burton received the Maui Film Festival's Silversmith Award in 2000 (the festival's first year), citing his "imagination and creativity in film making."
- The comic highlight of Tim Burton's ED WOOD is a scene featuring a stuffed octopus that Wood used as a prop. Bela Lugosi threw his body down upon the puppet and, in an attempt to create the illusion of mobility, wrapped the creature's limbs about his torso.
James Dean - Classic Television Collection (DVD-R)
$5.95 BLACK FRIDAY
- Sales Rank: 21,957
- UPC: 786936212501
- Shipping Weight: 0.16/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown [Deluxe Ed.] TOP 10 Bestseller
$14.98 BLACK FRIDAY
The Christmas Collection: All the Music You'll Need This... TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 BLACK FRIDAY
Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$5.95 BLACK FRIDAY