Nice planet. We'll take it!
|You Save:||$0.48 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 28, 2008
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close & Annette Bening|
|Performer:||Pierce Brosnan, Danny DeVito, Michael J. Fox, Joe Don Baker, Sarah Jessica Parker, Martin Short, Lisa Marie, Tom Jones, Natalie Portman, Lukas Haas & Christina Applegate|
|Directed by||Tim Burton|
|Edited by||Chris Lebenzon|
|Screenwriting by||Jonathan Gems|
|Composition by||Danny Elfman|
|Story by||Len Brown, Woody Gelman, Wally Wood, Bob Powell & Norm Saunders|
|Produced by||Larry J. Franco & Tim Burton|
|Director of Photography:||Peter Suschitzky|
...[A] giddily satiric epic....Escalates into full Burtonian madness... -- Rating: B+
Rating: 2.5/4 -- Even Tim Burton's maddest fans will feel disappointment creeping in as the invasion careens along. Full Review
Rating: C- -- Mars is a fireball of failure, a B-movie crammed full of A-list actors, an exercise in tacky self-indulgence that will numb you with its labored eccentricities. What's more, it would take a greater detective than I to find a single funny line. Full Review
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Rating: 2.5/4 -- Zestfully tacky and broadly comic -- but never quite as funny as it promises to be -- Mars Attacks!' is fanboy-filmmaker Tim Burton's artfully crafted sendup of '50s sci-fi paranoia Full Review
Rating: 3/4 -- Oh, those Martians! They are funny, mean little buggers, and they're worthing checking out. Full Review
Rating: 1.5/4 -- The best thing about Mars Attacks! is that you'll come away believing you could have done the movie better. Full Review
It's a destructo orgy without any phony-baloney sanctimony about the fellowship of man -- or spaceman. Full Review
Director Tim Burton unleashes MARS ATTACKS!, a vicious, affectionate, brightly-colored homage to 1950s alien invasion movies. When a shiny silver flying saucer lands in the Nevada desert, a group of skull-faced Martians exit the gleaming craft. Although they claim to be peaceful, they promptly "vaporize" a gathering of unfortunate Earthlings, kicking off a bizarre high-tech war with wild special effects. This studiously campy sci-fi spoof, based on a series of Topps bubble-gum cards, gleefully parodies not only schlock B-horror movies, but also overblown blockbusters such as INDEPENDENCE DAY. This subversive film is helped along by an all-star cast including Jack Nicholson in dual roles as both a clueless U.S. President (with First Lady Glenn Close) and a Las Vegas sleazebag. The film follows the wacky WAR OF THE WORLDS-like proceedings from the points of view of numerous colorful characters, from the inane U.S. Press Secretary (Martin Short) to a trailer-park family (Lukas Haas and Sylvia Sidney), to singer Tom Jones (as himself).
Tim Burton's MARS ATTACKS! is an all-star, high-tech (and subversive) spoof of those science-fiction films of the 1950s, such as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and THE WAR OF THE WORLDS.
Aliens | Black Comedy | Disaster | Science-Fiction | Spoof | All-Star | Blockbuster | Theatrical Release
- Theatrical release: December 13, 1996.
- The film was inspired by now-rare Topps trading cards, originally sold in the early 1960s.
- Tim Burton's wife, actress Lisa Marie, is the voice of, and the model for, the main animated Martian girl. Lisa Marie's likeness also appeared in THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) as Sally, the mad scientist's ghoulish but sexy creation.
- Sarah Jessica Parker, who plays Nathalie Lake, appeared in Burton's previous film ED WOOD, as schlock sci-fi movie director Ed Wood's girlfriend Dolores.
- Additional cast: Brandon Hammond (Neville); Janice Rivera (Cindy) and Timi Prulhiere (Tour Guide).
- Additional credits: Mark S. Miller (associate producer); James Mitchell and David Andrews (visual effects supervisors).
Science Fiction Collection (Crash of the Moons / The Killer...
$4.98 CYBER WEEK