Nice planet. We'll take it!
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.60 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.37 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 28, 2008
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- (unspecified) English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Jack Nicholson, Glenn Close & Annette Bening|
|Performer:||Pierce Brosnan, Danny DeVito, Michael J. Fox, Joe Don Baker, Sarah Jessica Parker, Martin Short, Lisa Marie, Tom Jones, Natalie Portman, Lukas Haas & Christina Applegate|
|Directed by||Tim Burton|
|Edited by||Chris Lebenzon|
|Screenwriting by||Jonathan Gems|
|Composition by||Danny Elfman|
|Story by||Len Brown, Woody Gelman, Wally Wood, Bob Powell & Norm Saunders|
|Produced by||Larry J. Franco & Tim Burton|
|Director of Photography:||Peter Suschitzky|
Rating: C- -- Mars is a fireball of failure, a B-movie crammed full of A-list actors, an exercise in tacky self-indulgence that will numb you with its labored eccentricities. What's more, it would take a greater detective than I to find a single funny line. Full Review
Santa Cruz Sentinel
The cast is so large that most of the actors don't stick around very long, but each has his or her moment to shine. Full Review
It's a destructo orgy without any phony-baloney sanctimony about the fellowship of man -- or spaceman. Full Review
...[A] giddily satiric epic....Escalates into full Burtonian madness... -- Rating: B+
Both a tribute to schlock sci-fi and a deconstruction of it, this sleekly cheeseball $70 million production is all attitude. It's not Burton's best by a long shot, but I came out smiling. Full Review
Rating: 2.5/4 -- Even Tim Burton's maddest fans will feel disappointment creeping in as the invasion careens along. Full Review
...[A] continually inventive, parodistic sendup of alien invasion movies....The technically brilliant picture possesses a quirkily, somewhat facetious insider tone...
Director Tim Burton unleashes MARS ATTACKS!, a vicious, affectionate, brightly-colored homage to 1950s alien invasion movies. When a shiny silver flying saucer lands in the Nevada desert, a group of skull-faced Martians exit the gleaming craft. Although they claim to be peaceful, they promptly "vaporize" a gathering of unfortunate Earthlings, kicking off a bizarre high-tech war with wild special effects. This studiously campy sci-fi spoof, based on a series of Topps bubble-gum cards, gleefully parodies not only schlock B-horror movies, but also overblown blockbusters such as INDEPENDENCE DAY. This subversive film is helped along by an all-star cast including Jack Nicholson in dual roles as both a clueless U.S. President (with First Lady Glenn Close) and a Las Vegas sleazebag. The film follows the wacky WAR OF THE WORLDS-like proceedings from the points of view of numerous colorful characters, from the inane U.S. Press Secretary (Martin Short) to a trailer-park family (Lukas Haas and Sylvia Sidney), to singer Tom Jones (as himself).
Tim Burton's MARS ATTACKS! is an all-star, high-tech (and subversive) spoof of those science-fiction films of the 1950s, such as THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL and THE WAR OF THE WORLDS.
Aliens | Black Comedy | Disaster | Science-Fiction | Spoof | All-Star | Blockbuster | Theatrical Release
- Theatrical release: December 13, 1996.
- The film was inspired by now-rare Topps trading cards, originally sold in the early 1960s.
- Tim Burton's wife, actress Lisa Marie, is the voice of, and the model for, the main animated Martian girl. Lisa Marie's likeness also appeared in THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1993) as Sally, the mad scientist's ghoulish but sexy creation.
- Sarah Jessica Parker, who plays Nathalie Lake, appeared in Burton's previous film ED WOOD, as schlock sci-fi movie director Ed Wood's girlfriend Dolores.
- Additional cast: Brandon Hammond (Neville); Janice Rivera (Cindy) and Timi Prulhiere (Tour Guide).
- Additional credits: Mark S. Miller (associate producer); James Mitchell and David Andrews (visual effects supervisors).
Science Fiction Collection (Crash of the Moons / The Killer...
$4.98 on Sale