Hal Roach: The King of Comedy Collection (3-DVD)
|You Save:||$11.97 (50% Off)|
- Number of Discs: 3
- Run Time: 5 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: March 7, 2017
- Originally Released: 2017
- Label: Alpha Video
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Produced by||Hal Roach|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Hal Roach's Rascals: They're America's all-time favorite troop of talented kids! Brought to the screen in 1922 by legendary silent comedy producer, Hal Roach, the wildly popular Our Gang films showcased a succession of memorable child actors. Groundbreaking in its inter-racial casting and naturalistic style, the Our Gang series had more than 50 comedy shorts "in the can" before the first "sound" entry, Small Talk, was released in 1929. While production continued until 1944 with ever-increasing popularity, these early silent reels display all the charm and wit that made the series the most successful in Hollywood history. This collection contains: Dogs of War (1923) Guest Star: Harold Lloyd, Derby Day (1923), Sundown Ltd. (1924), Official Officers (1925), Mary Queen of Tots (1925), The Fourth Alarm (1926), Olympic Games (1927) and Spook Spoofing (1928).
Hal Roach Rarities: In the 1920s, legendary Hollywood producer Hal Roach made stars of Harold Lloyd, Charley Chase, Harry Langdon, Thelma Todd, ZaSu Pitts, Patsy Kelly, the Our Gang Kids and Laurel and Hardy. The stature of the Hal Roach Studio was rivaled only by Mack Sennett. This collection is gleaned from that classic era, when Hal Roach was helping define the very nature of American comedy. In 1984, Hal Roach, age 92, received an honorary Academy Award for his contribution to motion pictures. Collection includes: North of 50-50 (1924), Sure-Mike! (1925), The Old Sea Dog (1922) and The Pickaninny (1921).
Hal Roach Comedy Classics:
- Long Fliv The King (1921): Beautiful Princess Helga must marry within 24 hours or she will lose her throne. Her advisors have her marry Charley, a prisoner condemned to die. A last-minute reprieve spares Charley's life and the newlywed royals head back home, where the new monarch intends to straighten things out in his kingdom.Starring Charley Chase, Martha Sleeper, Oliver Hardy; Directed by Leo McCarey.
- Strictly Modern (1922): The Hotel Rundowne is so antiquated it is in danger of going out of business. Snub, the janitor, leads the all-out modernization campaign with Yankee ingenuity and a slew of Rube Goldberg-esque contraptions. Starring Snub Pollard, Marie Mosquini; Directed by William Beaudine.
- Start The Show (1920): When a roving theatrical troupe shows up at the farm looking for lodgings, young Beatrice sees an opportunity to raise the mortgage money. She turns the barn into a theater and, before long, has the locals from three counties lined up to buy tickets. Starring Beatrice LaPlante.
- Take The Next Car (1922): Trolley operator Paul Parrott must complete his run by a six o'clock deadline or his beautiful boss will lose the franchise. Starring Paul Parrott, Jobyna Ralston; Directed by Jay A. Howe.
- Sales Rank: 45,968
- UPC: 089218974792
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items