From Here to Eternity (Blu-ray)
Pouring out of impassioned pages...brawling their way to greatness on the screen!
|You Save:||$1.69 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 58 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 1, 2013
- Originally Released: 1953
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Note: Blu-ray exclusive:
- Eternal history: graphics-in-picture track
- Special features:
- Audio commentary from Tim Zinnemann and Alvin Sargent
- The making of From Here to Eternity
- Excerpt from "Fred Zinnemann: As I See It"
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, German, Italian
- Subtitles - Arabic, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Mandarin
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, Donna Reed & Frank Sinatra|
|Performer:||Philip Ober, Jack Warden, Mickey Shaughnessy & Ernest Borgnine|
|Directed by||Fred Zinnemann|
|Edited by||William A. Lyon|
|Screenwriting by||Daniel Taradash|
|Composition by||George Duning|
|Art Direction by||Cary Odell|
|Produced by||Buddy Adler|
|Director of Photography:||Burnett Guffey|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I never knew it could be like this."
- Deborah Kerr to Burt Lancaster, on the beach
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Adapted Screenplay: Daniel Taradash
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Cinematography: Burnett Guffey
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Director: Fred Zinnemann
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Film Editing
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Picture
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Sound Recording
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Supporting Actor: Frank Sinatra
Academy Awards 1953 - Best Supporting Actress: Donna Reed
It's the best-ever account of life in the peacetime army. Full Review
Rapturously received from the moment it was released in 1953, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY remains, half a century later, a singular cinematic experience, one of the landmarks of American film.
Los Angeles Times
The story is a bit too crowded and episodic, but immensely gripping. Full Review
Rating: 4/4 -- There isn't a dull moment in the picture. Full Review
New York Daily News
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Fred Zinnemann's strength as a director was less on the technical side and more in line with coaxing stellar performances out of his actors, and with this film, he drew a royal flush. Full Review
Rating: 3.5/5 -- Despite sliding into melodrama a bit too often, From Here to Eternity remains a decent film due to the strong performances of its Oscar-nominated cast. Full Review
We Got This Covered
Rating: 8/10 -- Watching it again after not seeing it for many years, I was also struck by how much of a debt novelist-screenwriter Donn Pearce ('Cool Hand Luke') owes to Jones. Full Review
An all-star cast brought what was considered an unfilmable novel to the screen with skill and grace with this story of the loves, hopes, and dreams of those in a close-knit Army barracks in Hawaii shortly before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Montgomery Clift portrays a former boxer who refuses to fight after blinding a friend in the ring and is sent to the remote outpost as punishment for his insubordination. Love and tragedy abound in this unflattering look at military life and American thought before the war. Director Fred Zinneman's Oscar-winning film is based on the novel by James Jones.
Action | Classic | War | World War II | Love Story | Recommended | Infidelity | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema | Based On A Novel
- The Columbia TriStar special edition video #80693 is part of a limited edition Academy Awards sell through package that comes with a free copy of "Oscar's Greatest Moments," a classic collection of some of the most memorable moments from Oscar telecasts.
- Contract player Aldo Ray was the original choice for Prewitt by Columbia Studio chief Harry Cohn, but Fred Zinnemann and novelist James Jones wanted Montgomery Clift.
- Filmed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii.
- The film's technical consultant was Retired Brigadier General Kendall J. Fielder, Ret.
- Additional cast: Merle Travis (Sal Anderson), Arthur Keegan (Treadwell), Douglas Henderson (Corporal Champ Wilson), and John Bryant (Captain Ross).
- Sales Rank: 1,103
- UPC: 043396229921
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Movies 4 You: Sci-Fi Classics (The Man from Planet X /...
$6.20 Super Savings