Sean Connery is Shalako! Shalako means action! Action means Bardot!
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.20 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.75 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 11, 2017
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: KL Studio Classics
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio commentary by filmmaker Alex Cox
- Trailer gallery
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Sean Connery, Brigitte Bardot & Stephen Boyd|
|Performer:||Jack Hawkins, Peter van Eyck, Honor Blackman, Woody Strode, Eric Sykes, Alexander Knox, Valerie French, Julián Mateos & Don 'Red' Barry|
|Directed by||Edward Dmytryk|
|Edited by||Bill Blunden|
|Screenplay by||James Griffith, Hal Hopper & Scot Finch|
|Original story by||Louis L'Amour|
|Composition by||Robert Farnon|
|Story by||Clarke Reynolds|
|Produced by||Euan Lloyd|
|Director of Photography:||Ted Moore|
Rating: 2/4 -- Edward Dmytryk's Shalako is a disappointment from this veteran action director, whose recent "Anzio" was a cut above most war epics. Full Review
Rating: 3/5 -- Dmytryk constrói um clima crescente de tensão, sendo auxiliado na tarefa por Connery, que convence como veterano do Oeste americano. No entanto, o final anti-climático compromete a produção.
Cinema em Cena
Strong action on a very wide screen from mid-front row turns out to be quite wonderful. Full Review
New York Times
Rating: C -- At least the premise was cute. Full Review
Ozus' World Movie Reviews
In late-19th-century New Mexico, a hunting party of decadent European aristocrats wanders onto the reservation of some angry Apaches, and it's up to the mysterious wanderer, Shalako (Sean Connery), to save them from getting slaughtered. The group includes Honor Blackman (Pussy Galore in GOLDFINGER) as the sexually restless Lady Bagget and Brigette Bardot as the sharp shooting Countess Lazaar, who (of course) falls for Shalako. It's an unusual blend of wide-open Western action and European character intrigue as the decadent aristocrats sip champagne and flirt with their unwashed, treacherous cowboy guides. Veteran director Edward Dmytryk keeps the flaming arrows flying while Connery and Bardot hold attention in this weird hybrid of American Western and European art film. (Yes, Bardot has a seminude bathing scene.) SHALAKO, based on the novel by Louis L'Amour, was filmed almost entirely outdoors amid the dark gray landscapes of Almeria, Spain, in a style undoubtedly indebted to the Sergio Leone spaghetti Westerns of the time.
Sean Connery put his dashing James Bond image behind him to portray Shalako, a wild west adventurer in this adaptation of Louis L'Amour's novel.
- SHALAKO premiered in Munich, Germany, on September 26th, 1968.
- Although the action takes place in New Mexico, the film was shot on location in Almeria, Spain.
- The voice of Jack Hawkins, who had undergone surgery for his throat cancer prior to production, was dubbed in by British actor Charles Gray.
- SHALAKO was producer Euan Lloyd's first feature film outing in that capacity. The production was financed through 36 independent distribution entities from around the world.
- Rodd Redwing and Chief Elmer Smith acted as technical advisers during production.
Louis L'Amour Western Collection: The Sacketts / Conagher /... (DVD)
$17.30 Super Savings