She knew his face. His touch. His voice. She knew everything about him... But the truth.
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.40 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.60 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 11, 2015
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: New Regency
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital Surround - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Richard Gere & Jodie Foster|
|Performer:||James Earl Jones, Bill Pullman, Frankie Faison, Maury Chaykin, R. Lee Ermey, Clarice Taylor & William Windom|
|Directed by||Jon Amiel|
|Edited by||Peter Boyle|
|Screenplay by||Nicholas Meyer & Sarah Kernochan|
|Composition by||Danny Elfman|
|Produced by||Arnon Milchan & Steven Reuther|
|Director of Photography:||Philippe Rousselot|
Sommersby has everything to succeed. There's just one minor problem in this Americanized remake of The Return of Martin Guerre: Who can believe Richard Gere and Jodie Foster as a Tennessee Ashley and Scarlett? Full Review
Rating: 3.5/4 -- From start to finish, it is a well-crafted film: part love story, part mystery, and all drama. Full Review
If you're looking for a picturesque romance -- with a little intrigue on the side -- you could do worse than Sommersby. Full Review
Hobbled with a meandering script, an erratic performance by Richard Gere, and an overbearing score by Danny Elfman. Full Review
...Icy with suspicion, fiery with passion - Foster's eyes alone convey a thousand pages of dialogue... -- 3 out of 4 stars
...SOMMERSBY is an unabashedly romantic and at the some time morally intricate Civil War-era tale splendidly acted by Richard Gere and Jodie Foster...
...Nothing [Foster] has done to date is preparation for the romantic, resolute, elegant performance she gives...
New York Times
A man returning home after six years in the Civil War struggles to reconstruct his life and marriage. His idyllic hopes are shattered when he is accused of not being who he claims. Based on the French film THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE.
A remake of the French film, "The Return of Martin Guerre" takes place in the post-Civil War south. Sommersby is presumed dead, returning to his family two years after the war's end. But the once selfish man who went to battle is now a loving husband and father. His wife falls in love with him anew; townspeople are suspicious, especially one man who is in love with Laurel Sommersby. Can this man really be Sommersby' Or is he an imposter'
Civil War | Switching Roles | Tear Jerker | Love Story | Deception | Mistaken Identity | Theatrical Release
- Filmed in Hot Springs, Virginia and Lexington and Charlotte County Courthouse in DuArt color; prints by Technicolor. Began shooting April 13, 1992; completed June 30, 1992. Released in USA February 5, 1993 at 117 minutes. Released on video August 4, 1993 at 114 minutes.
- Remake of Daniel Vigne's 1982 French film "The Return of Martin Guerre," starring Gerard Depardieu and Nathalie Baye. Based on an actual incident that occurred in the 16th century.
- Jon Amiel got his start directing episodes of "The Singing Detective" for British television; he also directed the feature films "Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter" and "Queen of Hearts".
- Rated BBFC 12 by the British Board of Film Censors.
The Human Stain / People I Know / Summer of Fear / Steel... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
99¢ on Sale