|You Save:||$1.79 (30% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 27 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 25, 2005
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Hbo Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Wesley Snipes & Danny Glover|
|Performer:||Jasmine Guy, Lorraine Toussaint, Tate Donovan, Norman D. Golden II, Susanna Thompson, Tina Lifford, Carl Lumbly & Timothy Carhart|
|Directed by||Bill Duke, Kevin Rodney Sullivan & Paris Barclay|
|Composition by||Patrice Rushen|
|Cinematography by||Karl Herrmann|
AMERICA'S DREAM is an acclaimed made-for-cable trilogy of tales dealing with the African American experience. THE BOY WHO PAINTED CHRIST BLACK, directed by Bill Duke, from John Henrik Clarke's story, follows a small-town principal as he tries to defend a controversial student; LONG BLACK SONG is based on Richard Wright's story about a man who sacrifices his meager wealth for a cheating wife; and THE REUNION is based on Maya Angelou's tale of a jazz pianist struggling to overcome her racism-filled past.
This powerful trilogy of films, produced by HBO, deals with the black experience in America in a variety of settings. In THE BOY WHO PAINTED CHRIST, directed by Bill Duke, an elementary school principal (Wesley Snipes) whose career is moving forward faces a painful choice when a student at his school paints a portrait for a competition of Jesus Christ as a black man. LONG BLACK SONG deals with a poor sharecropper (Danny Glover) whose bored wife flirts with a white salesman while he's out at work. In THE REUNION, Lorraine Toussaint plays a successful jazz singer in Chicago in 1958. She has an emotional encounter that brings back painful memories of growing up a servant's daughter in a wealthy white home. The three shorts are all notable for the direct and honest way they deal with the complexities of black life in America during the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s.
- This film was originally shown on HBO in 1995.
- Paris Barclay, who directed one of the three segments, is an acclaimed music video director.
- Kevin Rodney Sullivan, who directed one of the segments, also directed SOUL OF THE GAME, about Negro League baseball, for HBO.
- The film was nominated for an NAACP Image Award.
- Danny Glover won a Cable Ace Award for his performance in LONG BLACK SONG.
- Wesley Snipes, Vanessa Bell Calloway, and Jasmine Guy were nominated for NAACP Image Awards for their performances in THE BOY WHO PAINTED CHRIST BLACK.
Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful... (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
The Serpent's Tongue / The Grayhaven Maniac (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$2.98 on SALE
A Child of the Paris Streets (1916) / The Eyes of Julia... (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
The Slowest Gun in the West (1960) / Fair Play (1972) (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
Rare TV Westerns: Johnny Moccasin / Frontier / Tumbleweed /... (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
The Movie Man's Matinee, Volume 4: Rare Silent Comedies... (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
- Sales Rank: 26,964
- UPC: 026359131721
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (1985) / Nestor, the... (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$10.75 on SALE
Perry Mason - Original Warner Bros. Movies Collection... (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$17.91 on SALE
Mr. Lobo's Cinema Insomnia: Voyage To The Prehistoric Planet (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
Naked in the Night (aka Madeleine Tel. 13 62 11)... (DVD)
It's a Wonderful Life (60th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD)
$17.70 CD Sale