The Muppet Christmas Carol
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.10 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.89 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 29, 2005
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Brian Henson - Director
- Gag Reel - ON-THE-SET GAG REEL
- PEPE PROFILES PRESENT - GONZO: A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG WEIRDO
- CHRISTMAS AROUND THE WORLD
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||The Muppets, Michael Caine & Dave Goelz|
|Performer:||Steve Whitmire, David Rudman, Frank Oz & Jerry Nelson|
|Featured:||Kermit The Frog & Miss Piggy|
|Directed by||Brian Henson|
|Edited by||Michael Jablow|
|Screenwriting by||Jerry Juhl|
|Composition by||Paul Williams & Miles Goodman|
|Story by||Charles Dickens|
|Produced by||Brian Henson|
|Director of Photography:||John Fenner|
|Voice:||Dave Goelz, Steve Whitmire, David Rudman, Jerry Nelson & Frank Oz|
The Muppets are at their best when they're anarchic, without all this soggy whimsy. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
4 stars out of 5 -- [T]here are plenty of laughs and a host of memorable songs crooned by everyone from Miss Piggy to Statler and Waldorf.
Rating: 5/5 -- Although the Muppets pile on the wit and child-friendly slapstick, they never dumb down, and never compromise their story's literary origins. Full Review
Daily Telegraph (UK)
Rating: 4/5 -- A remarkably faithful adaptation with a classy straight man and a dark side. Plus jokes galore -- whoever felt it was appropriate to use Rizzo as a pair of bellows to get the fire going deserves an extra helping of plum pudding. Full Review
Caine carries this Christmas Carol thoughout -- at least from an adult viewpoint. But somehow, Kermit makes a touching Cratchit, as voiced by Steve Whitmire. Full Review
The fit between sentiment and satire is not always a comfortable one and the more dedicated fans of either the story or the Muppets may leave theaters dissatisfied.
Rating: 3/5 -- There's lots to love here, particularly Michael Caine's deadly straight take on Scrooge. Full Review
With Kermit as the dutiful Bob Cratchit and Miss Piggy as his feisty wife, the Muppets do Dickens with Michael Caine as the miserly Scrooge. The songs in this musical version were penned by Paul Williams.
Musical-comedy adaptation of Dickens' classic "A Christmas Carol" featuring the Muppets. Miser Ebenezer Scrooge learns the true meaning of Christmas and reforms his heartless and money-grubbing ways after being visited on Christmas Eve by four Ghosts: his old business partners Jacob and Marley, the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.
- Feature-film directorial debut for Brian Henson, the 29-year-old son of the late puppeteer Jim Henson. Brian Henson began working as a puppeteer at his father's studio at age seventeen and took over as president and CEO of Jim Henson Productions following his father's death in 1990.
- Color by Technicolor.
- Charles Dickens' novella "A Christmas Carol" has been adapted for the large and small screens on numerous occasions, including:
"Scrooge" (1935, directed by Henry Edwards, starring Seymour Hicks, Maurice Evans, and Robert Cochran)
"A Christmas Carol" (1938, directed by Edwin L. Marin, starring Reginald Owen, Gene Lockhart, Kathleen Lockhart, June Lockhart (debut), and Leo G. Carroll)
"A Christmas Carol" (aka "Scrooge," 1951, directed by Brian Desmond Hurst, starring Alastair Sim, Jack Warner, and Kathleen Harrison)
"Christmas Carol" (1954 musical, starring Fredric March and Basil Rathbone)
"Scrooge" (1970 musical, directed by Ronald Neame, starring Albert Finney, Alec Guinness, Edith Evans, Kenneth More)
"Stingiest Man in Town" (1978 musical, starring Tom Bosley, Walter Matthau, Paul Frees, Theodore Bikel, Robert Morse, and Dennis Day)
"A Christmas Carol" (1984, directed by Clive Donner with George C. Scott, Frank Finlay, Edward Woodward, David Warner, and Susannah York)
"Christmas Carol" (1984, 2 different animated versions, one by Chuck Jones)
"Scrooged" (1988 black comedy, directed by Richard Donner, starring Bill Murray, Karen Allen, John Forsythe, John Glover, Bobcat Goldthwait, David Johanssen, Carol Kane, Robert Mitchum, Michael J. Pollard, Alfre Woodard, Robert Goulet, John Houseman, and Buddy Hackett)
- Also available on video are "A Jetsons Christmas Carol" (1989), "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (1983), "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" (1962), and "Rich Little's Christmas Carol" (1990).
- Other effects credits include Larry Jameson (Muppet electro/mechanical effects supervisor); Paul Gentry (miniatures unit director); David Sharp (miniature unit supervisor); Mark Zeszotek and Tim Miller (Muppets workshop production unit supervisors); Fred Buchholz (Muppet stunt coordinator); Mike Quinn and Karen Prell (puppeteer coordinators); John Stephenson and William Plant (Jim Henson's creature shop creative and production supervisors); and Paul Wilson (miniatures unit camera).
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Sales Rank: 10,445
- UPC: 786936286991
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
A Charlie Brown Christmas (50th Anniversary) (2-DVD)
$15.40 Super Savings
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Special Ed.) (DVD)
$10.90 Super Savings