|You Save:||$1.60 (16% Off)|
- Subtitles in English, French & Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 6, 2003
- Originally Released: 1939
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Stewart & Marlene Dietrich|
|Performer:||Brian Donlevy, Charles Winninger, Mischa Auer, Irene Harvey, Una Merkel, Allen Jenkins, Warren Hymer, Samuel S. Hinds, Billy Gilbert & Jack Carson|
|Directed by||George Marshall|
|Edited by||Milton Carruth|
|Screenwriting by||Felix Jackson, Henry Myers & Gertrude Purcell|
|Composition by||Frank Skinner, Frederick Hollander & Frank Loesser|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Director of Photography:||Hal Mohr|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"...It keeps getting better with repeat viewings..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
- DESTRY RIDES AGAIN was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1996.
- There is a 1932 DESTRY RIDES AGAIN starring Tom Mix. In 1950 another version of the story was made, entitled FRENCHIE. It was directed by Louis King and starred Joel McCrea and Shelley Winters. In 1954 yet another version came out, entitled DESTRY. George Marshall once again directed, and Audie Murphy and Mari Blanchard starred.
- Marlene Dietrich has one of her most famous moments in this movie singing "See What the Boys in the Back Room Will Have."
- Casting of the lead roles was unusual for the time. Stewart had never played a Western, and Dietrich had previously played the high society gal. Her rough and tumble appearance in DESTRY RIDES AGAIN revitalized her career.
- Copyright 1939 Universal Pictures Co., Inc. Renewed 1967 by Universal Pictures.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 14390 ratings.
This is one of the best westerns ever made. It has everything from comedy to a mob scene. Marlene sings the classic,"See What The Boys In The Back Room Will Have". There is a brawl between Marlene and Calahan's wife that is one of the highlights of the movie. The best scene in the movie is in the bar. There is a crowd on hand and Marlene is angry at Destry and points a gun at him. The crowd quickly gets out of the way. Then she starts throwing chairs, glassware at him, but soon is exhausted, but feels she has won. She asks, "Who will buy me a drink?", and goes to the bar. There she sees her dress is soaked, her hair is a mess, and she yells and runs out of the bar. The finale has the town in a mob scene. Jimmy Stewart is the hero and Brian Aherne is the villain. There are guns going off, and the women are seen marching down the street to the bar, and then chaos ensues. Aherne is upstairs while Marlene and Jimmy are on the main floor among the fighting. Marlene looks up and sees Aherne with a gun and she makes her way to Jimmy, but just as she gets there, Aherne fires the gun and kills Marlene instead. It is an action packed western from start to finish. They don't make them like this anymore. This movie is a must have for your video collection.