High Noon (60th Anniversary Edition)
The story of a man who was too proud to run.
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$17.20 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.75 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 17, 2012
- Originally Released: 1952
- Label: Olive
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: The Making of High Noon Hosted by Leonard Maltin
- Includes Interviews with Lloyd Bridges
- Stanley Kramer
- Fred Zinnemann
- John Ritter
- David Crosby
- Theatrical Trailer
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gary Cooper & Grace Kelly|
|Performer:||Thomas Mitchell, Katy Jurado, Lloyd Bridges, Otto Kruger, Lon Chaney, Jr., Harry Morgan, Ian MacDonald & Eve McVeagh|
|Directed by||Fred Zinnemann|
|Edited by||Harry Gerstad|
|Screenwriting by||Carl Foreman|
|Composition by||Dimitri Tiomkin|
|Produced by||Stanley Kramer & Elmo Williams|
|Director of Photography:||Floyd Crosby|
Academy Awards 1952 - Best Actor: Gary Cooper
Academy Awards 1952 - Best Film Editing
Academy Awards 1952 - Best Original Score: Dimitri Tiomkin
Academy Awards 1952 - Best Original Song: Dimitri Tiomkin & Ned Washington
...Filmdom's definitive dusty-street shootout...
A Truly great Western Full Review
High Noon combines its points about good citizenship with some excellent picturemaking. Full Review
A perfect drama... An eternal adventure of men facing the decisive moment of luck, willing to kill or be killed. [Full Review in Spanish] Full Review
El Pais (Spain)
Rating: 5/5 -- With one of the greatest opening sequences in film history, High Noon kicks-off in an outstanding fashion and this 1952 film just gets better and better as it builds towards its climax. Full Review
Movies in Focus
Rating: 5/5 -- Few westerns have conveyed fear so potently as Kane tries to persuade the townsfolk to stand against Miller and his gang, while the clock runs down in real time. Full Review
...Gary Cooper forged a new kind of hero as a lawman left swinging in the wind. Also innovative was its use of real time...
Gary Cooper is Hollywood's perfect hero, the very embodiment of integrity and grace in this greatest of Westerns. As a newly married town marshal, he must balance an innate sense of justice and duty with loyalty to his beautiful new--and pacifist--bride when he is left by an ungrateful town to face a gang of deadly outlaws alone. As we watch spellbound, film time is real time as the showdown grows ever closer. HIGH NOON is a masterpiece that is frequently interpreted as a parable about artists left to "stand alone" and face persecution during the HUAC Hollywood blacklisting. However, Howard Hawks allegedly devised RIO BRAVO as an answer to the film's "wimpiness," and John Wayne once declared HIGH NOON as un-American--he was apparently offended by the ending of the film, which shows Sheriff Kane removing his badge and tossing it in the dirt.
As Sheriff Will Kane prepares to retire from his law-making, gun-fighting duties and marry his pacifist girlfriend, he receives word that a man he sent to prison has been pardoned. Kane initially escapes, but returns to protect the town from this killer and his band of outlaws only to find hostility and resentment among the uncooperative townsfolk.
Classic | Self-Discovery | Heroes | Recommended | Character Study | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- HIGH NOON was an original selection to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1989.
- The New York Film Critics chose HIGH NOON as Best Film of 1952 and named Fred Zinnemann Best Director of 1952.
- Jack Elam, who would make a career out of being an often drunk minor character in Westerns, is the man in the drunk tank in HIGH NOON.
- A made-for-TV sequel was aired in 1980. "High Noon Part II: Return of Will Kane" starred Lee Majors in the Gary Cooper role, joined by David Carradine, J. A. Preston, Pernell Roberts, and M. Emmet Walsh.
- Academy Award Nominations: 7, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay.
- Sales Rank: 15,006
- UPC: 887090037006
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
History Channel: The Best of the Real West (2-DVD)
$12.30 Super Savings