Sides Of Blue (The Jazz Greats Who Played On Kind Of Blue)
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$7 (58% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
sku: ZNL 30339
- Clearance CDs with the ZHUS prefix may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: January 15, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Concord Music Group, Inc.
- $1.29 on iTunes1.The Wynton Kelly TrioWillow Weep For Me
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Cannonball Adderley QuintetWinetone
- $1.29 on iTunes3.John ColtraneWhile My Lady Sleeps
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Tadd DameronOn A Misty Night (Ft. John Coltrane)
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Bill Evans TrioWoody'N You (Take 2) (Ft. Philly Joe Jones & Paul Chambers)
- $1.29 on iTunes6.Cannonball Adderley & Bill EvansKnow What I Mean? (Re-take 7)
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Cannonball Adderley & Bill EvansElsa
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Cannonball Adderley & Bill EvansNancy (With The Laughing Face)
- $1.29 on iTunes9.John ColtraneTheme For Ernie
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Liner Note Author: Don Mizell.
This collections's subtitle, "The Jazz Greats Who Played on Kind of Blue," lays out explicitly the concept behind this interesting label project. Luckily, pianists Bill Evans and Wynton Kelly, and saxophonists John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley all recorded as leaders for Riverside or Prestige (which Fantasy now owns) at some point in their careers. Evans and Adderley even made a excellent album together titled KNOW WHAT I MEAN? from which three selections here have been taken. As befits the distinct musical tone of KIND OF BLUE, these are all beautifully moody performances, some of which are among the artist's best, including Coltrane's early "Theme For Ernie" and Wynton Kelly's "Willow Weep For Me." The latter leading off the compilation is especially welcome since the always underrated Kelly (who played on BLUE's "Freddie Freeloader") never quite received the recognition he deserves.