Louis Jordan Louis Jordan & His Tympani Five [JSP] (5-CD)
|You Save:||$11.99 (41% Off)|
Special Order Item: Usually ships in 7-14 days
- Released: June 18, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: JSP Records
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Honey in the Bee Ball
- 2.Barnacle Bill the Sailor
- 3.Flat Face
- 4.Keep a Knockin'
- 5.Sam Jones Done Snagged His Britches
- 6.Swingin' in a Coconut Tree
- 7.Doug the Jitterbug
- 8.At the Swing Cat's Ball
- 9.Jake, What a Snake
- 10.Honeysuckle Rose
- 11.'Fore Day Blues
- 12.But I'll Be Back
- 13.You Ain't Nowhere
- 14.You're My Meat
- 15.June Tenth Jamboree
- 16.You Run Your Mouth and I'll Run My Business
- 17.I'm Alabama Bound
- 18.Somebody Done Hoodooed the Hoodoo Man
- 19.Bounce the Ball (Do da Dittle Um Day)
- 20.Penthouse in the Basement
- 21.After School Swing Session (Swinging With Symphony, Sid)
- 22.Oh Boy, I'm in the Groove
- 23.Never Let Your Left Hand Know What Your Right Hand's Doin'
- 24.Don't Come Cryin' on My Shoulder
- 25.Waiting for the Robert E. Lee
- 26.A Chicken Ain't Nothin' But a Bird
- 27.Pompton Turnpike
- 28.Do You Call That a Buddy? (Dirty Cat)
- 29.I Know You (I Know What You Wanna Do)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Pinetop's Boogie Woogie
- 2.Two Little Squirrels, The (Nuts to You)
- 3.T-Bone Blues
- 5.Saint Vitus Dance
- 7.Brotherly Love (Wrong Ideas)
- 8.Boogie Woogie Came to Town
- 9.How 'Bout That?
- 10.Mama, Mama Blues (Rusty Dusty Blues)
- 11.Knock Me a Kiss
- 12.The Green Grass Grows All Around
- 13.Small Town Boy
- 14.I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town
- 15.What's the Use of Getting Sober (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)?
- 16.The Chicks I Pick Are Slender, Tender and Tall
- 17.I'm Gonna Leave You on the Outskirts of Town
- 18.That'll Just About Knock Me Out
- 19.Five Guys Named Moe
- 20.It's a Low Down Dirty Shame
- 21.Ration Blues
- 22.Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby?
- 23.Deacon Jones
- 24.I Like 'Em Fat Like That
- 25.Mop! Mop!
- 26.G.I. Jive
- 27.You Can't Get That No More
Tracks on Disc 3:
- 1.My Baby Said Yes (Yip, Yip de Hootie)
- 2.Your Socks Don't Match
- 3.Buzz Me
- 4.Caldonia Boogie
- 5.Somebody Done Changed the Lock on My Door
- 6.How Long Must I Wait for You?
- 7.Salt Pork, West Virginia
- 8.Don't Worry 'Bout That Mule
- 9.Stone Cold Dead in the Market (He Had It Coming)
- 10.Petootie Pie
- 11.Recoversion Blues
- 12.It's So Easy
- 13.Beware, Brother, Beware
- 14.Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying
- 15.Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
- 16.Ain't That Just Like a Woman
- 17.That Chick's Too Young to Fry
- 18.No Sale
- 19.If It's Love You Want Baby, That's Me
- 20.Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens
- 21.Let the Good Times Roll
- 22.All for the Love of Lil
- 23.Texas and Pacific
- 24.Jack, You're Dead!
- 25.Reet Petite and Gone
- 26.Sure Had a Wonderful Time
- 27.I Know What You're Putting Down
Tracks on Disc 4:
- 2.Open the Door, Richard
- 3.Boogie Woogie Blue Plate
- 4.Barnyard Boogie
- 5.Every Man to His Own Profession
- 6.Early in the Morning
- 7.Run Joe
- 8.Look Out
- 9.Have You Got the Gumption?
- 10.We Can't Agree
- 11.Chicky-Mo, Craney-Crow
- 12.Roamin' Blues
- 13.Inflation Blues
- 14.You're Much Too Fat (And That's That)
- 15.Pettin' and Pokin'
- 16.You're on the Right Track, Baby
- 17.Don't Burn the Candle at Both Ends
- 18.Why'd You Do It Baby?
- 20.Safe, Sane and Single
- 21.I Know What I've Got, Don't Know What I'm Getting
- 22.You Broke Your Promise
- 23.Push-Ka Pee-Shee Pie (The Saga of Saga Boy)
- 24.Cole Slaw
- 25.Beans and Corn Bread
Tracks on Disc 5:
- 2.Baby's Gonna Go, Bye-Bye
- 3.Heed My Warning
- 5.Baby, It's Cold Outside
- 6.Don't Cry, Cry, Baby
- 7.School Days (When We Were Kids)
- 8.Hungry Man
- 9.Saturday Night Fish Fry
- 10.I Want a Roof Over My Head
- 11.Show Me How (You Milk the Cow)
- 12.Blue Light Boogie
- 13.Ain't Nobody's Business But My Own
- 14.I'll Never Be Free
- 15.Tamburitza Boogie
- 16.(You Dyed Your Hair) Chartreuse
- 18.It's a Great, Great Pleasure
- 19.You Will Always Have a Friend
- 20.Trouble Then Satisfaction
- 21.Life Is So Peculiar
- 22.You Rascal You
- 23.Teardrops from My Eyes
Personnel includes: Louis Jordan (vocals, clarinet, alto, tenor & baritone saxophones); Yack Taylor, Daisy Winchester, Mabel Robinson, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Martha Davis (vocals); Carl Hogan, Bill Jennings (electric guitar); Stafford Simon (flute, clarinet, tenor saxophone); Lem Johnson, Kenneth Holt (clarinet, tenor saxophone); James Wright, Josh Jackson (tenor saxophone); Courtney Williams, Freddy Webster, Eddie Roane, Aaron Izenhall, Bob Mitchell, Harold Mitchell (trumpet); Clarence Johnson, Arnold Thomas, Wild Bill Davis, Bill Doggett, Hank Jones (piano); Charlie Drayton, Henry Turner, Jesse Simpkins, Dallas Bartley, Al Morgan, Bob Bushnell, Billy Hadnott (bass); Walter Martin, Rossiere Wilson, Joe Morris (drums).
Recorded between 1938 & 1950.
Personnel: Kenneth Hollon (vocals, clarinet, tenor saxophone); Louis Armstrong (vocals, trumpet); Ella Fitzgerald, Mabel Robinson, Daisy Winchester, Bing Crosby (vocals); Bill Jennings (electric guitar, claves); James "Ham" Jackson, John Collins, Carl Hogan (electric guitar); Stafford Simon (flute, clarinet, tenor saxophone); Freddie Simon, Lem Johnson (clarinet, tenor saxophone); James Wright , Josh Jackson (tenor saxophone); Freddy Webster, Leonard Graham, Courtney Williams, Aaron Izenhall, Eddie Roane, Bob Mitchell (trumpet); Hank Jones , Arnold Thomas, William Austin, Wild Bill Davis, Bill Doggett (piano); Eddie Boyd, Rossiere "Shadow" Wilson, Wilmore Slick Jones, Joe Morris , Walter Martin, Alex Mitchell , Charlie Smith (drums); Calypso Boys (claves, maracas); Vic Lourie (claves); Harry Dialmaracas (maracas).
Liner Note Author: Louisa Hufstader.
Recording information: Los Angeles, CA (03/29/1938-12/21/1950); New York, NY (03/29/1938-12/21/1950).
This magnificent five-CD set from the British label JSP has all of Louis Jordan's studio recordings (not counting radio transcriptions, V-Discs, and rarities unearthed by the Bear Family label) from his first date as a leader in 1938 through the end of 1950. Jordan would continue recording regularly for the Decca label into 1953, but all of his hits are on this set plus a variety of lesser-known but superior material. In other words, get this set and one really has the very best of Jordan. A fine altoist who was a personable singer, a subtle comedian, and a winning personality, Jordan pioneered the move of jazz from big-band swing to small-group jump music and early R&B. Once he caught on with the 40th song on this set ("Knock Me a Kiss"), Jordan had hit after hit including many songs that are still greatly beloved such as "Five Guys Named Moe," "Choo Choo Ch'Boogie," and "Ain't Nobody Here but Us Chickens." There are many fine solos throughout this set (particularly from Jordan and his trumpeters) and nearly every selection is memorable. While Jordan's recordings have been repackaged and reissued in many ways through the years, this is the most logical way to acquire this timeless and joyful music. ~ Scott Yanow
Bob DylanThe Bootleg Series, Volume 15: Travelin' Thru (3-CD)
$53.98 on Sale
John R.T. DaviesThe John R.T. Davies Collection, Volume 1: Jazz Classics...
$26.20 Super Savings
Harlem Double Feature: Jivin' In Be Bop (1946) / Beware...
$5.95 on Sale
Harlem Double Feature: Juke Joint (1947) / Reet, Petite,...
$5.95 on Sale
Harlem Double Feature: Look-Out Sister! (1948) / Big Timers...
$5.95 on Sale