|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.80 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$0.80 (7% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 4, 2003
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: 20Th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Tom Hanks, John Heard, Elizabeth Perkins, Jared Rushton & Robert Loggia|
|Performer:||David Moscow, Samantha Larkin, Mercedes Ruehl, Jon Lovitz, Josh Clark, Rockets Redglare, Jamie Tirelli, James Eckhouse & Tracy Reiner|
|Directed by||Penny Marshall|
|Edited by||Barry Malkin|
|Screenwriting by||Gary Ross & Anne Spielberg|
|Composition by||Howard Shore|
|Produced by||Robert Greenhut & James L. Brooks|
|Director of Photography:||Barry Sonnenfeld|
Tom Hanks accomplishes something quite special here....He convinces you that he really is a 12-year-old-trapped in a body 20 years older...
What makes this all work, of course, is Hanks himself, who brings remarkable authenticity and simplicity to the role. He makes being a kid seem as wonderful as it was, and as scary and as confusing too. Full Review
United Press International
Rating: 3/5 -- Tom Hanks is marvellously child-like as Josh, all restless energy, innocence and real pleasure in the liberation that being grown-up allows him. Full Review
Daily Telegraph (UK)
Rating: 4/5 -- Joyously entertaining, escapist stuff. Full Review
Rating: A- -- Hanks, as a stranger in a strange land, gives us equal portions of laughs and insights into the worlds of both adults and adolescents. Big also offers up a very funny satire of corporate ladder climbing. Full Review
Family Home Theater
Rating: 3/4 -- A disarmingly sweet movie. Full Review
Oh, this movie. It's not sad, but it makes me tear up every single time without fail. It's delightfully 80s and Tom Hanks is an adorable heartbreaker. Full Review
Woman in Revolt
A boy asks a mechanical swami at a fair to grant his wish to be grown up -- oops! Luckily his best friend recognizes him and helps him get a job at a toy factory where his fresh, uncomplicated innocence wins the president's respect, his colleagues' envy -- and a beautiful woman's love. Academy Award Nominations: Best Actor--Tom Hanks, Best (Original) Screenplay.
A 13-year-old boy named Josh wants, more than anything else, to be "big". And when he makes a wish on a carnival wishing booth his dreams come true: he transposes into the body of a 35 year old man -- though his mind and spirit remain that of a child. Since he can't really go to school looking like an adult, and his mother doesn't know him in his new guise, he heads to New York with his pal Billy, where they proceed to goof off, play around, and act basically like the kids they are. But when Billy leaves, Josh is subjected to the encroaching needs and responsibilities of adulthood, and he quickly discovers both the pleasures and the problems of being grown-up.
Coming Of Age | Love Story | Mishaps | Recommended | Magic | Blockbuster | Toys | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- Shot in DuArt color, release prints processed by DeLuxe. Location shooting was done in Cliffside Park and Fort Lee, New Jersey; New York City and Rye, New York.
- Saul Bass designed the titles.
- Estimated budget $20 million.
- One of four films released between 1987 and 1988 that have a child/adult role-reversal theme. The other three are: "Vice Versa" (Brian Gilbert, USA, 1988); "18 Again!" (Paul Flaherty, USA, 1988); and "Like Father, Like Son" (Rod Daniel, USA, 1987). Previous to this mini-explosion in the late 1980s, there were several other titles that also dealt with the same basic theme. They include the original "Vice Versa" (Peter Ustinov, UK, 1948), which is among the first such films, and "Freaky Friday" (Gary Nelson, USA, 1977) which differs from the rest in that it focuses on a mother/daughter switch.
- Sales Rank: 9,801
- UPC: 024543020172
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2-DVD) TOP 100 Bestseller
$6 Super Savings