Heartbreak Ridge (Widescreen)
...the scars run deep.
|SPRING SALE:||$7.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.99 (47% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 1, 2002
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Film Highlights:
- Select Cast
- Select Crew
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Clint Eastwood, Marsha Mason, Everett McGill, Mario Van Peebles, Bo Svenson & Moses Gunn|
|Performer:||Tom Villard, Arlen Dean Snyder, Eileen Heckart, Vincent Irizarry, Ramón Franco, Mike Gomez & Peter Jason|
|Directed by||Clint Eastwood|
|Edited by||Joel Cox|
|Composition by||Lennie Niehaus|
|Produced by||Clint Eastwood|
|Director of Photography:||Jack N. Green|
|Executive Production by||Fritz Manes|
Rating: C+ -- Set during the Grenada War, Clint Eastwood's war movie is a formulaic, old-fashioned actioner wearing its ideology on its sleeves. Full Review
For a war film, Heartbreak Ridge is oddly lighter in spirit than many of Eastwood's other films from this period. Full Review
Rating: 4/5 -- Eastwood's clearly having a ball as a gravel-throated solider man.
...The reward is a vintage Clint Eastwood performance....[He] does it all -- the physicality, the obscenities, the puzzlement in love and mastery in war -- better and more economically than almost any screen icon around...
Los Angeles Times
Rating: 6/10 -- You may not always like Eastwood's films, but you seldom get downright bored by them. Full Review
As the gritty, raspy-voiced sergeant, Mr. Eastwood's performance is one of the richest he's ever given.
New York Times
To tell the truth, the Grenada Incursion looks even sillier on film than it did in the headlines. War is not hell, it's big box office. Full Review
Clint Eastwood plays tough-as-nails marine sergeant Tom Highway in HEARTBREAK RIDGE. Highway is tough, but he's got his work cut out for him when he's assigned to whip a platoon of unruly new Marines into shape. He faces his own, often humorous battles with his ex-wife (Marsha Mason) and with his by-the-book commanding officers but still manages to teach his troops discipline and combat tactics. Eventually, their feelings toward him shift from resentment to respect, and all his lessons are put to use when the Grenada invasion unexpectedly brings the platoon into battle.
Clint Eastwood takes a revisionist approach to his tough-guy persona once again in HEARTBREAK RIDGE. As he had done in TIGHTROPE and PALE RIDER, and as he would do even more memorably in UNFORGIVEN, Eastwood probes beneath the surface of his prototypical character, a man who feels most at ease amid violence. HEARTBREAK RIDGE is a deft blend of service comedy, action film, and, most surprisingly, a genuine adult love story, as Sergeant Highway tries, with touching earnestness, to win back the affections of his ex-wife (Marsha Mason), after his devotion to the corps has kept them apart for too many lonely years. Meanwhile, he has to whip his inexperienced, undisciplined troops into shape. Highway often runs afoul of his own commanders, who resent his maverick ways and feel threatened by his combat experience and his chest full of medals. He gets the chance to prove his effectiveness yet again when his men are unexpectedly called to battle in Grenada. Like many of Eastwood's films, HEARTBREAK RIDGE is an underrated, solidly entertaining work.
- Theatrical release: December 5, 1986.
- This film was primarily shot at Camp Pendleton, California. The Grenada segments were shot in Puerto Rico.
- There's a French documentary, CREVECOEUR, about the Korean War engagement the film is named for.
- Mario Van Peebles is the son of filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles, who started the 1970s blaxploitation wave with his SWEET SWEETBACK'S BADASSSSS SONG, which marked Mario's acting debut.
- This was the first of many Clint Eastwood films on which Jack N. Green was the director of photography. He had previously worked as a camera operator on FIREFOX, HONKYTONK MAN, and SUDDEN IMPACT.
- "The Marines are looking for a few good men. Unfortunately, you ain't it."--Tom Highway (Clint Eastwood) sizes up his troops
- "We're friends, but don't expect us to swap spit in the shower."--Gunnery Sergeant Tom Highway to his troops
You Don't Mess With The Zohan (Unrated Extended Ed.) (DVD)
$8.70 Super Savings
Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Ed.) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 Spring Sale
Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful... TOP 10 Bestseller
$5.95 Spring Sale
Titanic: 100 Years Below (DVD + CD + Book + Memorabilia) TOP 10 Bestseller
$6.38 Spring Sale
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$2.38 Spring Sale
Sexpots From Space Double Feature: Voyage To The Planet of... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$5.95 Spring Sale
WWI - 100th Anniversary Collection: 20 Documentaries (6-DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$4.98 Spring Sale
The Treasure of Jamaica Reef (1974) / Piranha (1972) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$5.95 Spring Sale