Gerald Albright Sax For Stax
JazzTimes: "He's chosen his eight cover songs well, highlighted by a swinging 'Knock On Wood' and a dynamic 'What You See Is What You Get' with vocals by Philip Bailey."
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$3.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$8 (67% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 24, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Peak Records
JazzTimes - p.91"He's chosen his eight cover songs well, highlighted by a swinging 'Knock On Wood' and a dynamic 'What You See Is What You Get' with vocals by Philip Bailey."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Them From "The Men"
- $1.29 on iTunes2.Knock On Wood
- $1.29 on iTunes3.Never Can Say Goodbye - (featuring Will Downing)
- $1.29 on iTunes4.Memphis Passion
- $1.29 on iTunes5.Respect Yourself - (featuring Ledisi)
- $1.29 on iTunes6.I Stand Accused
- $1.29 on iTunes7.Cheaper To Keep Her
- $1.29 on iTunes8.Walkin' Down Beale Street - (featuring Kirk Whalum)
- $1.29 on iTunes9.What You See Is What You Get - (featuring Phillip Bailey)
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Who's Making Love
- $0.99 on iTunes11.W.C. Handy Hop
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Gerald Albright (flute, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, bass guitar, percussion, programming); Philip Bailey, Will Downing (vocals); Rick Watford (guitar, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Darrell Crooks, Errol Cooney (guitar); Mark Cargill (strings); Kirk Whalum (tenor saxophone); Arlington "Ollie" Jones, Rex Rideout, Tracy Carter (keyboards); Teddy Campbell (drums); Lenny Castro (percussion); Selina Albright, Mabvuto Carpenter (background vocals).
Audio Mixer: Don Murray .
Recording information: Bright Music Studio; Castle Oaks Productions; CCI Media; KAR Studios; The Green Room, Los Angeles, CA.
Author: George Duke.
Photographer: Carl Studna.
Arrangers: Gerald Albright; Rex Rideout.
Before Gerald Albright began charming audiences with the sleek saxophone sound of his crossover jazz albums, he honed his chops as a session player for R&B artists. On 2008's SAX FOR STAX, Albright returns to his personal and professional roots, offering up tasty interpretations of classic Stax/Volt soul sides.
Fans of Albright's light jazz sound needn't fear, however; SAX FOR STAX has the sweet, languid feel of his output from the last 30 years. Even smoking, up-tempo numbers like "Knock On Wood" and "Respect Yourself" are rendered with sophistication. Laid back and mellow, Albright's tribute to Stax is designed to go down smooth.
Terence Blanchard / Nnenna FreelonMonterey Jazz Festival: 50th Anniversary All-Stars (Live) (CD)
- Sales Rank: 7,757
- UPC: 888072306042
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Classic Rhythm + Blues Collection: Heroes and Legends (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD)