The Bellas were one big happy family. Then Renata met Sam...
|You Save:||$0.48 (3% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 28, 2004
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Holly Hunter, Laura San Giacomo, Danny Aiello, Gena Rowlands, Tim Guinee, Roxanne Hart, Danton Stone & Greg Germann|
|Directed by||Lasse Hallström|
|Composition by||James Horner|
|Produced by||Griffin Dunne & Amy Robinson|
|Director of Photography:||Theo van de Sande|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"This is my adventure and no one can take it away from me!"
- Renata Bella (Holly Hunter)
Rating: 2/5 -- Dreyfuss and Hunter can't save what is a sappy and grating melodrama.
This is both recommendation and warning: Once Around is easy to take but hard to swallow. Full Review
...A pungently comic and moving love story in which affection and anger get equal time and ring equally true...
This rather overbearing romantic comedy is by no means a disaster. Full Review
Rating: 3.5/4 -- The first movie in a long time to leave me speechless. Full Review
...Dreyfuss, as ever, gives his all and then some...
New York Times
Rating: 4/5 -- One of Richard Dreyfuss's best films....lovely stuff
Insightful, moving performances make ONCE AROUND, Lasse Hallstrom's family comedy-drama, a unique and memorable film. The Bella family is a close as any--maybe too close. Sisters Jan (Laura San Giacomo) and Renata (Holly Hunter) are together on the day of Jan's wedding. Jan is marrying her dream man (Tim Guinee), yet still carrying on an affair with another man (Jim Redstone), while Renata has just faced the reality that her live-in boyfriend (Griffin Dunne) will never marry her. Renata soon finds herself living at home again, and regressing easily into the role of the failed but beloved daughter to smart, beautiful Marilyn (Gena Rowlands) and fair-minded Joe (Danny Aiello). Vowing to pull her life together, she takes a new job selling condo timeshares on the island of St. Thomas. There, she meets arrogant, gregarious, and overconfident Sam Sharpe (Richard Dreyfuss), a super salesman from a Lithuanian family, who is as madly in love with her as she is with him. It is this dedicated, loving, and eccentric relationship that, ironically, begins to pull the close-knit Bellas apart. What lies ahead for all is a complex patchwork of familial disharmony, undying loyalty, cultural tradition, tragedy, and triumph. The interplay between family members, their closeness and resentments, permeate an unusual story with characters that are each unique and unforgettable.
- Theatrical release: January 1991.
- The film was shot on location in Durham, North Carolina; Boston, Massachusetts; and the island of St. Martin.
- ONCE AROUND was shown on opening night at the Sundance Film Festival, Park City, Utah, in January 1991; it also screened at the Valladolid Film Festival in October 1991.
- Malia Scotch Marmo is a graduate of the Columbia University Graduate Film Program. In addition to writing ONCE AROUND, she worked as a screenwriter doing rewrites on Steven Spielberg's HOOK.
- Griffin Dunne, who appears in the film and is credited as a producer, and Amy Robinson, also credited as a producer, were the producing team behind Martin Scorsese's AFTER HOURS.