|SUPER SAVINGS:||$6.50 Limited Time Only|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 2, 2002
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Danny DeVito, Bette Midler, Judge Reinhold & Helen Slater|
|Performer:||Anita Morris, Bill Pullman, Art Evans & Clarence Felder|
|Directed by||Jerry Zucker, Jim Abrahams & David Zucker|
|Edited by||Arthur Schmidt|
|Screenwriting by||Dale Launer|
|Composition by||Michel Colombier|
|Produced by||Michael Peyser|
|Director of Photography:||Jan de Bont|
The people who made Ruthless People probably expect us to laugh... at the pushy people who populate their story. And they're right: We will laugh -- not because we have lousy taste (and wicked thoughts) ourselves, but because their film is genuinely funny. Full Review
Philadelphia Daily News
...A hilariously venal comedy....Dazzlingly fresh and modern....Though quite sophisticated, it is pitched just right to include everyone in on the joke...
Rating: 3/4 -- An undemanding but well-executed entertainment. Full Review
The characters here aren't just bad; most of them are truly vile -- human slime. And the film makers chew them up (especially two nefarious bonbons played by Danny DeVito and Bette Midler) with the toothsome glee of jolly cannibals. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Ruthless People contains some of the biggest laughs of 1986. Full Review
Much of the fun of this comedy is in watching what happens as virtually everyone in the movie tries to double-cross or otherwise take advantage of everyone else. Full Review
Ruthless People is a hilariously venal comedy about a kidnapped harridan whose rich husband won't pay for her return. Full Review
In this comedy from the directing team responsible for AIRPLANE!, two kidnappers discover, to their shock, that the husband (Danny DeVito) of the wealthy woman (Bette Midler) they've snatched won't pay the ransom and is, in fact, celebrating the possibility that she may be murdered.It isn't long before the abductors understand why: their captive, who harangues them with a never-ending stream of abuse, is more trouble than she's worth. But as they get to know her, and learn more about her husband, it dawns on the kidnappers that he's no treasure either--and that getting abducted may be the best thing that's happened to their victim in a long time.
Action | Kidnapping And Missing Persons | Scams And Cons | Betrayal | Recommended | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- The film is loosely based on O'Henry's short story "The Ransom of Red Chief".
- Shot in Los Angeles, California in DeLuxe color. Began shooting January 8, 1986; released theatrically in USA June 27, 1986.
- Budget estimate $16 million.
- Other cast members include William G. Schilling (Police Commissioner); Clarence Felder (Lieutenant Walters); Phyllis Applegate (Loan Officer); Charlotte Zucker (Judge); Henry Noguchi (Coroner).
- End titles and opticals by Modern Film Effects; computer graphics by Video Image; animals (Muffy and Adolph) supplied by Birds and Animals Unlimited. Sally Cruikshank was the animation sequences producer.
- "Don't You Want My Love" performed by Nicole, written by A. Nova.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Censors.