...the most devastating killing machine ever built... his job... steal it!
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 16 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 1, 2010
- Originally Released: 1982
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Vintage Featurette Clint Eastwood: Director
- Theatrical Trailer
- Dual Layer
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Clint Eastwood, Warren Clarke, Freddie Jones & David Huffman|
|Performer:||Ronald Lacey, Kenneth Colley, Klaus Lowitsch, Stefan Schnabel, Nigel Hawthorne & John Ratzenberger|
|Directed by||Clint Eastwood|
|Edited by||Ron Spang & Ferris Webster|
|Composition by||Maurice Jarre|
|Produced by||Clint Eastwood|
|Director of Photography:||Bruce Surtees|
Clint Eastwood's failure to realize his material makes Firefox more sluggish and phlegmatic than it should be. Full Review
Rating: 2.5/5 -- Once the chases kick in and the invisible jet shows up, you'll have already withstood a healthy amount of yawns for your troubles. Full Review
Rating: 2/5 -- The movie is saved from the trash-bin thanks to Clint Eastwood.
Firefox is obvious and boring. [Full Review in Spanish] Full Review
El Pais (Spain)
The movie is gripping in a slow, sure way. Full Review
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Firefox is a slick, muscular thriller that combines espionage with science fiction. The movie works like a well-crafted machine, and it's about a well-crafted machine. Full Review
FIREFOX is an entertaining cold war fantasy piloted by actor-director Clint Eastwood. When the Russians develop a Mach 5 jet with thought-controlled weaponry, the free world needs someone to go and steal it from them in order to maintain the balance of power. Mitch Gant (Eastwood) was once a hotshot pilot and speaks fluent Russian, so despite his mental instability (he's suffering from posttraumatic stress as a result of his experiences in Vietnam), he's the man for the job. Gant is really the only character Eastwood has played who doesn't have a problem with authority. His bosses want a job done. They're on the side of right, so he does it. Along the way, he's aided by some Jewish dissidents (including a scientist played by Nigel Hawthorne) who are really a lot more heroic than Gant. Essentially, Eastwood has adapted an espionage thriller by Craig Thomas into a fun action film. The jet itself is, well, neat, and the final dogfight between the two Firefox prototypes is quite thrilling. The effects were produced by John Dykstra's firm, which also worked on STAR WARS, but Eastwood's own down-to-earth sensibility keeps things grounded in some kind of reality.
Clint Eastwood plays the part of an expert pilot whose mission is to steal a Soviet plane. The jet fighter is a technological wonder possessing secrets that the U.S. military is eager to obtain.
- Theatrical release: June 18, 1982.
- Shot on location in Vienna, Austria, which subs for Moscow.
- The film had two lavish premieres. One was a benefit in Washington for the USO, chaired by Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger. The other was a benefit for the Museum of Modern Art at the Pierre Hotel in New York City.
- Fritz Manes, the excecutive producer of the film and a longtime friend and collaborator of Eastwood's, plays the American submarine captain.
- Warren Clarke, who plays Pavel Upenskoy, is perhaps best known for playing Dim, one of Alex's droogs, in Stanley Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
- John Ratzenberger, who later played Cliff Clavin on the popular sitcom CHEERS, plays one of the American soldiers on the submarine.
- Notice: Spoiler!
The film ends with an editing trick found in several of Eastwood's films. In the last shot of the film, Eastwood's character (in this case, Mitchell Gant flying the Firefox) travels away from the camera, into the distance, and suddenly vanishes from the screen.
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up... TOP 10 Bestseller
$2.98 on Sale
The Treasure of Jamaica Reef (1974) / Piranha (1972) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$5.95 on Sale