Jack Teagarden 1939 Brunswick & Columbia Recordings
|You Save:||$2.99 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Liner Notes: Patrick Scott
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This compilation assembles rare and hard-to-find recordings made by trombonist and bandleader Jack Teagarden in 1939 for the Brunswick and Columbia labels. Includes extensive liner notes.
- 1.The Sheik Of Araby
- 2.Class Will Tell
- 3.If It's Good (Then I Want It)
- 4.Cinderella, Stay In My Arms
- 5.That's Right - I'm Wrong (Vocal By Jean Arnold)
- 6.Yankee Doodle (Vocal By Jean Arnold)
- 7.White Sails (Beneath A Yellow Moon) (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 9.Pickin' For Patsy (Featuring Allan Reuss)
- 10.Undertow (Featuring Charlie Spivak)
- 11.Especially For You (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 12.You Know (Just As Well As I Know)
- 13.You're The Moment In My Life (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 14.The Little Man Who Wasn't There
- 15.Puttin' And Takin'
- 16.I Swung The Election
- 17.Blues To The Dole
- 18.Aunt Hagar's Blues
- 19.Rippling Waters
- 20.It's A Hundred To One (I'm In Love)
- 21.If What You Say Is True (Previously Unreleased)
- 22.Red Wing
- 23.United We Swing
- 24.Somewhere A Voice Is Calling
Jack Teagarden: Jack Teagarden (trombone); Jean Arnold (vocals); Linda Keene.
Personnel: Jack Teagarden (vocals); Jeanie Arnold, Linda Keene (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Patrick Scott.
Arranger: Fred Van Eps.
Jack Teagarden was not only one of the finest swing trombonists of his generation, but also a very accomplished singer. Teagarden is captured here during his creative peak, with 24 tracks from 1939 that bespeak his brilliance.
"If It's Good (Then I Want It)" features both Teagarden's voice and his innovative trombone playing. Lesser musicians would probably overstate this simple lyric, but Teagarden relaxes into the melody and allows the words to resonate. The tune also sports a lighthearted trombone break, and here Teagarden slides flawlessly into the last phrase, making this one of the high points on the album. "Blues to the Dole" shows off Teagarden's band quite effectively. On this selection, his ensemble embodies the sound and feel of early jazz. Specifically, the "call and response" created between the clarinets, trombones, and trumpets evoke the New Orleans Dixieland tradition. In general, this compilation is filled with inspired bluesy solos, taut orchestral arrangements, and, of course, lots of old-fashioned swing.
Ginny SimmsThe Best of Ginny Simms (with Kay Kyser And His Orchestra) (CD)
$5.98 on Sale
Al DonahueThe Solid Swing of Al Donahue & His Orchestra (CD)
$8.98 on Sale
Marion Morgan / Harry JamesComplete Marion Morgan With Harry James & His Orchestra (CD)
$11.98 on Sale
Dick JurgensYour Dance Date With... / At The Aragon Ballroom (CD)
$11.98 on Sale
Jack TeagardenOnly the Best of Jack Teagarden and His Orchestra (3-CD)
$15.98 on Sale
- Sales Rank: 18,403
- UPC: 090431763827
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 on Sale
100 Hits: Lipstick on Your Collar: 100 Teenage Classics Of... TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$9.98 on Sale
100 Doo Wop Hits: 100 Original Doo-Wop Classics (4-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$13.98 on Sale