Jack Teagarden 1939 Brunswick & Columbia Recordings
|You Save:||$5.01 (29% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
item number: 35SC6
- Liner Notes: Patrick Scott
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
This compilation assembles rare and hard-to-find recordings made by trombonist and bandleader Jack Teagarden in 1939 for the Brunswick and Columbia labels. Includes extensive liner notes.
- 1.The Sheik Of Araby
- 2.Class Will Tell
- 3.If It's Good (Then I Want It)
- 4.Cinderella, Stay In My Arms
- 5.That's Right - I'm Wrong (Vocal By Jean Arnold)
- 6.Yankee Doodle (Vocal By Jean Arnold)
- 7.White Sails (Beneath A Yellow Moon) (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 9.Pickin' For Patsy (Featuring Allan Reuss)
- 10.Undertow (Featuring Charlie Spivak)
- 11.Especially For You (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 12.You Know (Just As Well As I Know)
- 13.You're The Moment In My Life (Vocal By Linda Keene)
- 14.The Little Man Who Wasn't There
- 15.Puttin' And Takin'
- 16.I Swung The Election
- 17.Blues To The Dole
- 18.Aunt Hagar's Blues
- 19.Rippling Waters
- 20.It's A Hundred To One (I'm In Love)
- 21.If What You Say Is True (Previously Unreleased)
- 22.Red Wing
- 23.United We Swing
- 24.Somewhere A Voice Is Calling
Jack Teagarden: Jack Teagarden (trombone); Jean Arnold (vocals); Linda Keene.
Personnel: Jack Teagarden (vocals); Jeanie Arnold, Linda Keene (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Patrick Scott.
Arranger: Fred Van Eps.
Jack Teagarden was not only one of the finest swing trombonists of his generation, but also a very accomplished singer. Teagarden is captured here during his creative peak, with 24 tracks from 1939 that bespeak his brilliance.
"If It's Good (Then I Want It)" features both Teagarden's voice and his innovative trombone playing. Lesser musicians would probably overstate this simple lyric, but Teagarden relaxes into the melody and allows the words to resonate. The tune also sports a lighthearted trombone break, and here Teagarden slides flawlessly into the last phrase, making this one of the high points on the album. "Blues to the Dole" shows off Teagarden's band quite effectively. On this selection, his ensemble embodies the sound and feel of early jazz. Specifically, the "call and response" created between the clarinets, trombones, and trumpets evoke the New Orleans Dixieland tradition. In general, this compilation is filled with inspired bluesy solos, taut orchestral arrangements, and, of course, lots of old-fashioned swing.
Frankie MastersBest of Frankie Masters (CD)
Al DonahueThe Solid Swing of Al Donahue & His Orchestra (CD)
Ginny SimmsThe Best of Ginny Simms (with Kay Kyser And His Orchestra) (CD)
Sammy KayeMidnight Serenade / Ballroom Date (CD)
Horace Heidt & His OrchestraIntroducing The King Sisters, 1937-1938 (CD)
Glen GrayBrunswick Years (1932-1934) (CD)
Jack TeagardenBig Band Jazz (CD-R)
Jack TeagardenOnly the Best of Jack Teagarden and His Orchestra (3-CD)
Jack Teagarden / Maxine SullivanMemories of You (CD-R)
Will BradleyThe Best of Will Bradley With Ray McKinley - Eight To The... (CD)
- UPC: 090431763827
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Essential Collection: Boogie Woogie Hits! (3-CD)
$27 Super Savings
Essential Collection: Greatest Dixieland Jazz (3-CD)
$27 Super Savings
The Club Hangover Broadcasts (2-CD)
$10.50 Super Savings
Basin Street Blues
$5.30 Super Savings