|You Save:||$3.68 (37% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 2, 2002
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Hbo Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Beau Bridges, Swoosie Kurtz, Gregg Henry, Matt Frewer, Frankie Ingrassia, Elizabeth Ruscio, Andy Richter & David Brisbin|
|Directed by||Michael Ritchie|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"The things you do for your kids."
- Wanda Holloway (Holly Hunter) to Terry Harper (Beau Bridges)
Full of daffiness, greed and dark-hued humor, whole package is a hoot. Full Review
Rating: 5/5 -- There's a lot to laugh at here. But there's a lot more that's disquieting. Full Review
Rating: 9/10 -- [Holly Hunter gives] one of the great comic performances in modern times. Full Review
Antagony & Ecstasy
Michael Ritchie directs this freewheeling satire, which recounts a bizarre series of events that occurred in Channelview, Texas, in the early 1990s. The made-for-HBO comedy tells the story of Wanda Holloway (Holly Hunter), a ridiculously devoted mother who will stop at nothing to help her daughter Shanna (Frankie Ingrassia) become a high school cheerleader. Bothered by the annoying presence of fellow mother Verna Heath (Elizabeth Ruscio), Wanda is eventually driven to thoughts of murder. After recruiting her dim-witted ex-brother-in-law, Terry Harper (Beau Bridges), to help carry out the task, Terry's conscience gets the better of him and he works with the police in order to capture enough evidence to arrest Wanda. The resulting media frenzy that erupts turns the small Texas town into an out-of-control circus. As Wanda's trial begins to gain national attention, the friends and family of both Wanda and Verna must field a seemingly endless barrage of offers for the rights to the story. Ritchie ingeniously mocks the absurdity of his own film by casting the film's actual writer and producer as themselves, as well as including a line of dialogue in which Verna scoffs at the thought of Holly Hunter playing Wanda. The film features hysterical performances by Hunter, Bridges, Swoosie Kurtz, and Matt Frewer.
The true (and funny) story of Wanda Holloway, an overly devoted south Texas mother who will stop at nothing to help her daughter become a high school cheerleader--even if it means hiring her dim-witted ex-brother-in-law to committ a murder. The film is a documentary-like made-for-cable triumph.
- Director Michael Ritchie's film originally aired on HBO.
- The film's closing title card reads: "Most Channelview exteriors were filmed at their actual Texas locations. Important interiors have been faithfully recreated, and some of the costumes and props--even license plates--were borrowed from the participants. This movie was based on court transcripts and exhibits in the trial of Wanda Holloway, interviews and the public record. Some scenes, events and characters have been created for dramatic purposes."
- Jane Anderson (screenwriter) and James Manos, Jr. (producer) appear as themselves in the film.
- Sales Rank: 27,366
- UPC: 026359087523
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
NBC News - Inside Evil: Serial Killers Jeffrey Dahmer & Son... (DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
99¢ on Sale
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (I Love the 80's) (DVD + CD)
$5.40 Super Savings
Elvira's Movie Macabre - Legacy of Blood / The Devil's... TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 on Sale
Elvira's Movie Macabre - Count Dracula's Great Love TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on Sale
Elvira's Movie Macabre - Doomsday Machine / Werewolf of... TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on Sale
Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful... TOP 10 Bestseller
$5.95 on Sale
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 on Sale