Frankie Masters Best of Frankie Masters
|You Save:||$0.89 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
item number: QXS3
Kitty Kallen: Collection 1939-62 (2-CD) for $20.60
- Compiled and Produced by Dan Rivard
- Digital Audio Restoration: Ken Robertson
- Liner Notes: Gary Theroux
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Frankie Masters was one of the most amiable of all big band leaders," said jazz critic George T. Simon. "And his music was the most danceable." That it was - through nearly a dozen hits in the 1930s and '40s. A handsome man, good guitarist, fine singer and excellent front man, Frankie Masters knew how to play the perfect host. The selection in this collection were all recorded in New York City between 1939 and 1942 - at the height of his career.
- 1.Vocal by Frankie MastersScatter-Brain (Theme Song)
- 2.Vocal by Marion Francis & Frankie MastersWhen Winter Comes
- 3.Vocal by Marion FrancisFools Fall In Love
- 4.Vocal by The Masters VoicesTake Me Out To The Ball Game
- 5.Vocal by Frankie Masters & The Masters VoicesUnder Blue Canadian Skies
- 6.Vocal by Marion FrancisThe Breeze And I
- 7.A Lover's Lullaby
- 8.Vocal by Frankie MastersHappy Birthday To Love
- 9.Vocal by Phyllis MilesBlue Champagne
- 10.' Vocal by The Swing MastersI'll Be With You In Apple Blossom Time
- 11.Vocal by Frankie MastersThe Pessimistic Character (With The Crab-Apple Face)
- 12.Vocal by Gordon GoodmanThe Gaucho Serenade
- 13.Vocal by Frankie MastersThat's For Me
- 14.Vocal by The Swing MastersDaddy
- 15.Vocal by Marion FrancisAlice Blue Gown
- 16.Vocal by The Swing MastersSaturday Nite
- 17.Vocal by Frankie MastersThrow Your Heartin The Ring
- 18.Vocal by Marion FrancisAnd Tommy Goes, Too
- 19.Piano by Woody KesslerFalling Leaves
- 20.Vocal by The Swing MastersMargie
- 21.Vocal by Marion FrancisCabin In The Sky
- 22.Vocal by Harlan RogersAll The Things You Are
- 23.Vocal by Frankie Masters & The Swing MastersOh! Look At Me Now
- 24.Vocal by Phyllis MilesSomebody's Thinking Of You Tonight
- 25.Vocal by Frankie MastersG'bye Now
Personnel includes: Frankie Masters, Marion Francais, Phyllis Myles, Gordan Goodman, Harlan Rogers, The Swing Masters (vocals).
Recorded between 1939 & 1942.
Personnel: Frankie Masters (vocals); Swing Masters, Master Voices, Masters Voices, Phyllis Myles, Gordon Goodman, Harlan Rogers (vocals); Woody Kessler (piano).
Liner Note Author: Gary Theroux.
Recording information: 05/29/1939-06/03/1942.
Although little remembered today, Frankie Masters had a dozen or so big-band swing hits in the 1930s and 1940s. This compilation from Collectables Records covers his peak years, 1939 to 1942, and features all his notable tracks, including "Scatter-Brain (Theme Song)," which reached number one on the charts in 1939, as well as "All the Things You Are," "Alice Blue Gown," and "A Lover's Lullaby." With little else on the market, luckily this collection has most of what you'll need. ~ Steve Leggett
Les BrownThe Best of The Rare Les Brown (From The Okeh Vaults) (CD)
Horace Heidt & His OrchestraIntroducing The King Sisters, 1937-1938 (CD)
Tony PastorRare Tony Pastor & His Orchestra (From The Columbia Vaults) (CD)
Neal HeftiPardon My Doo-Wah / Hot 'N Hearty (CD)
Ginny SimmsThe Best of Ginny Simms (with Kay Kyser And His Orchestra) (CD)
Frankie Carle & His OrchestraThe Very Best of Frankie Carle & His Orchestra - The... (CD)
$13.80 Super Savings
Will BradleyThe Best of Will Bradley With Ray McKinley - Eight To The... (CD)
Sammy KayeSammy Kaye Collection (CD)
Eddy HowardBest of Eddy Howard (CD)
Kay KyserFun With The Ol' Professor '44-47 (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Light, swingy... fun! Music Lover: Bryan Cooper from Los Angeles, CA US -- December, 17, 2004
Here's a rare chance to hear an under-rated singing big band leader with solid orchestra. This band is mainly remembered for their big hit, "Scatterbrain" in the late '30's. But as you'll hear on this disc they graduated from mickey mouse to solid rhythm by the early '40's. Tight harmonies from his vocal groups, clean brass and reeds gave this band a distinctive sound. A nice surprise, though I must admit... I requested it! Thanks for coming through with the goods collectables! Now how about volume 2??
- Sales Rank: 4,981
- UPC: 090431756027
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Shorty Rogers Volume 1: 1946-1954 (5-CD)
$26.20 Super Savings
History of Rock (10-CD Set) TOP 10 Bestseller
Feuding Banjos: Bluegrass Banjo of the Southern Mountains TOP 10 Bestseller
Midas Touch TOP 25 Bestselling CD
Top Hits of the 80s: 36 Original Hits (2-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
100 Christmas Hits (4-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
Kirkatron / Boogie Woogie String Along For Real (2-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
Top Hits of the 70s - Amazing Hits TOP 100 Bestseller
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits TOP 100 Bestseller
WDAS 105.3FM - Classic Soul Hits, Volume 1 (2-CD) TOP 100 Bestseller
Encyclopedia of Doo Wop, Volume 1 (4-CD)
$42.30 Super Savings