Two-Lane Blacktop (2-DVD)
You can never go fast enough...
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$34.90 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.05 (13% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 10, 2015
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Criterion Collection
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Two audio commentaries: one by Hellman and filmmaker Allison Anders and one by screenwriter Rudy Wurlitzer and author David N. Meyer
- New interviews with Hellman, star James Taylor, musician Kris Kristofferson, producer Michael Laughlin, and production manager Walter Coblenz
- Rare screen test outtakes
- Performance and Image, a look at the restoration of a '55 Chevy used in the movie and the film's locations in 2007
- Color Me Gone, a collection of photos and publicity material from the film.
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||James Taylor, Dennis Wilson & Warren Oates|
|Performer:||Laurie Bird & Harry Dean Stanton|
|Directed by||Monte Hellman|
|Edited by||Monte Hellman|
|Screenwriting by||Rudy Wurlitzer & Will Corry|
|Composition by||Billy James|
|Produced by||Michael Laughlin|
|Director of Photography:||Jack Deerson|
even if the Driver and co. are just passin' through, they encapsulate a whole generation lost in the rootless, directionless '70s, scorching the viewer's retina with their quest for nothing.
Little White Lies
Two-Lane provides a script to match [Oates] and he gives what is simply one of the year's most memorable performances. Full Review
Los Angeles Free Press
This exciting existentialist road movie by Monte Hellman, with a swell script by Rudolph Wurlitzer and Will Corry and my favorite Warren Oates performance, looks even better now than it did in 1971. Full Review
4 stars out of 5 -- As a study in obsession and emotional dislocation TWO-LANE BLACKTOP is in a class of its own.
Rating: 3.5/4 -- ... a quiet, existential masterpiece that has turned into a bonafide cult classic. Full Review
Rating: 4/5 -- As a study in obsession and emotional dislocation Two-Lane Blacktop is in a class of its own. Full Review
Oates gives a compelling performance and musicians Taylor and Wilson supply the right degree of drifter cool. Full Review
The Age (Australia)
Cult film director Monte Hellman follows up his legendary westerns THE SHOOTING and RIDE IN THE WHIRLWIND with another bona fide classic, this time set on the paved highways of early 1970s America. Making their acting debuts, musicians Dennis Wilson and James Taylor play a pair of drag-racing drifters who battle against willing competitors all along the back roads of America, encountering a wild cast of characters. After stopping for lunch one afternoon, Taylor (The Driver) and Wilson (The Mechanic) discover a young woman in their back seat (Laurie Bird, credited as (The Girl). The newly formed trio continues to head east, and places a risky bet with Warren Oates after bumping into each other at a gas station. The first automobile to arrive in Washington D.C. is the winner. The prize: the loser's car (Taylor and Wilson drive a 1955 Chevy, while Oates pilots a 1970 Pontiac GTO). Strangely enough, rather than turning into a relentless fight to the finish, none of the participants seem too worried about picking up the pace. In fact, they act as if they're afraid of reaching their destinations, spurning an endless series of sidetracks that turns Hellman's film into a broad existential metaphor and cementing its place as one of 1970s Hollywood's bravest motion pictures.
- Theatrical Release: 1971
- Theatrical rerelease: SEPTEMBER 29, 2000 (NY)
- Critically-acclaimed, this genre-definer was restored and re-released in a new 35mm print in 2000, and was re-released theatrically on September 29, 2000 for a limited run in New York City.
- In April 1971, Esquire magazine called TWO-LANE BLACKTOP "movie of the year" and published Rudy Wurlitzer's screenplay for the film.
Michael Shayne Mysteries - Volume 1 (2-DVD, Dual Side)
$5.98 Super Savings
Lifetime Films - True Drama Movies (Sex, Lies & Obsession /...
$3.98 Super Savings