Lust for Life (Blu-ray)
He had a lust for life. Sometimes he was brutal, sometimes delicate – always he lived with insatiable passion!
|You Save:||$0.98 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Run Time: 2 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 3, 2015
- Originally Released: 1956
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by filmhistorian Dr. Drew Casper
- Van Gogh: Darkness Into Light
- Theatrical trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.55
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Anthony Quinn, James Donald, Pamela Brown, Everett Sloane, Niall MacGinnis, Noel Purcell & Henry Daniell|
|Directed by||Vincente Minnelli|
|Edited by||Adrienne Fazan|
|Screenwriting by||Norman Corwin|
|Composition by||Miklos Rozsa|
|Cinematography by||Freddie Young|
|Produced by||John Houseman|
|Director of Photography:||Russell Harlan|
Academy Awards 1956 - Best Supporting Actor: Anthony Quinn
Horrifying - but informative - tragic biography of Van Gogh, with a look at his painting technique and location filming of the places he lived. Full Review
Classic Film and Television
4 stars out of 5 -- Minnelli's vivid palette, all burnished yellows and turbulent blues, conveys something of the artist's fiery intensity.
Rating: 7/10 -- The movie, attractive as it may be, never 'breaks through the iron wall' between what is felt and what is expressed, the very wall that van Gogh himself strove to overcome. Full Review
Rating: 3.5/4 -- The Best Actor Oscar that year went to Yul Brynner for his broad emoting in The King and I, but Douglas -- in one of the defining performances of his career -- would have been a far more deserving winner. Full Review
Rating: 3/4 -- Kirk Douglas could be a little much, but that proves to be the right amount in Lust for Life... Full Review
Rating: B -- A competently made and acted biopic on the Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh (Kirk Douglas), that's nevertheless uninspiring. Full Review
Ozus' World Movie Reviews
Rating: A -- One of Minnelli's best pictures, a visually stunning portrait of Van Gogh, splendidly played by Kirk Douglas Full Review
A vivid, stylish portrait of tormented painter Vincent Van Gogh, based on the biography by Irving Stone.
Biography about artist Vincent Van Gogh, and how his zeal for life and knowledge affected his artwork, and led to his insanity.
- Color by Metrocolor; shot in CinemaScope.
- Additional cast: Jeanette Sterke (Kay), Toni Gerry (Johanna), Wilton Graff (Rev. Stricker), and David Horne (Rev. Peeters).
- Additional credit: Jud Kinberg (associate producer).
- Copyright 1956 Loew's Inc., renewed 1984 MGM/UA Home Entertainment.
Midnight Movie Madness: 50-Movie Collection (10-DVD)
$10.98 BLACK FRIDAY