Cool Hand Luke (Blu-ray)
What we've got here is failure to communicate.
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.80 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.17 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: September 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 1.0 English, French, Spanish, Castilian, Latin, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese
- Subtitles - Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Historian Newman
- Featurette: New Making of Documentary - A Natural Born-World Shaker: Making Cool Hand Luke
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Biographies: Eric Lax
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Paul Newman, Strother Martin & George Kennedy|
|Performer:||Jo Van Fleet, J.D. Cannon, Lou Antonio, Robert Drivas, Clifton James, Morgan Woodward, Luke Askew, Dennis Hopper, Harry Dean Stanton & Joe Don Baker|
|Directed by||Stuart Rosenberg|
|Edited by||Sam O'Steen|
|Screenwriting by||Donn Pearce & Frank Pierson|
|Composition by||Lalo Schifrin|
|Produced by||Gordon Carroll|
|Director of Photography:||Conrad L. Hall|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
- Captain (Strother Martin) to Luke (Paul Newman)
"Small town, not much to do in the evenin'."
- Luke, explaining why he cut the heads off parking meters
"I can eat fifty eggs."--Luke
"Nobody can eat fifty eggs."
"Nobody can eat fifty eggs."
- Dragline (George Kennedy)
"Wish you'd stop bein' so good to me, cap'n." Luke to Captain, after he's been put in chains
"He's a natural born world-shaker."
- Dragline, about Luke
"What we've got here is failure to communicate."
Academy Awards 1967 - Best Supporting Actor: George Kennedy
Rating: 3/4 -- Anchored by Paul Newman's thoroughly magnetic performance... Full Review
Reel Film Reviews
Stuart Rosenberg's direction is a horror, but the cast teems with so many familiar faces that this 1967 film can't help but entertain. Full Review
...Paul Newman had one of his best roles....Much of the fun today comes from eyeing minor players. Newman's fellow rock-splitters include Dennis Hopper and Richard Davalos...
4 stars out of 5 -- Simultaneously biting and blithe....Newman's effortless performance drives things...
A caustically witty look at the American South and its still-surviving chain gangs, with Newman in fine sardonic form as the boss-baiter who refuses to submit and becomes a hero to his fellow-prisoners.
Surrounded by such great character actors as Dennis Hopper and Strother Martin...Newman has never looked more godlike. -- Grade: B+
Rating: 4/4 -- ...a gulag melodrama, if such a thing is possible. Full Review
In this classic Southern prison drama, social misfit Lucas "Luke" Jackson (Paul Newman) is incarcerated for a petty crime and sentenced to a chain gang. Luke is a sullen and laconic young man whose cool defiance of the sadistic warden and bullying inmates earns him the title "Cool Hand Luke." But as the prisoners' respect for Luke grows into hero worship, he finds that he must risk everything in order to live up to their expectations. Filled with dozens of memorable scenes (Luke eating 50 eggs) and quotable lines ("What we have here is a failure to communicate."), COOL HAND LUKE is a testament to excellent screenwriting (Donn Pearce and Frank Pierson) and Newman's charm and skill as an actor. The film also features an outstanding supporting cast that includes George Kennedy, Strother Martin, and early screen appearances by Dennis Hopper and Harry Dean Stanton.
Description by Warner Home Video :
A defiant chain-gang prisoner suffers a "failure to communicate" in this searing drama. Paul Newman Shines in the title role, George Kennedy as his sidekick won an Oscar.
Prison / Prisoners | Suspense | Thriller | Classic Fight Scenes | Recommended | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- Filmed in Panavision near Stockton, California; color by Technicolor.
- Jalem Films is actor Jack Lemmon's production company.
- Sales Rank: 7,568
- UPC: 085391156819
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item