|MASSIVE CD SALE:||$5.98|
|You Save:||$8.99 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- The album "The Golden Striker - Music For Brass & Piano" was originally released in 1960 as Atlantic 1334. "Jazz Abstractions" was originally released in 1961 as Atlantic 1365.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 1334 (1960)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1365 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
More classic performances from the genius of John Lewis. "Golden Striker" is John Lewis' tribute to the the Italian commedia dell'arte. "Jazz Abstractions" features compositions by Gunther Schuller and Jim Hall, and includes performances by Bill Evans, Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman and Scott LaFaro (who was tragically killed in an accident just a few months after the release of this album).
- 1.Fanfare I
- 2.Piazza Navona
- 3.Odds Against Tomorrow
- 4.Fanfare II
- 6.Fanfare II
- 7.Golden Striker
- 8.Piazza Di Spagna
- 9.Fanfare I
- 10.La Cantatrice
- 12.Piece For Guitar & Strings
- 13.Variants On A Theme Of John Lewis (I)
- 14.Variants On A Theme Of John Lewis (II)
- 15.Variants On A Theme Of John Lewis (III)
- 16.Variants On A Theme Of Thelonious Monk (I)
- 17.Variants On A Theme Of Thelonious Monk (II)
- 18.Variants On A Theme Of Thelonious Monk (III)
- 19.Variants On A Theme Of Thelonious Monk (IV)
2 LPs on 1 CD: GOLDEN STRIKER (1960)/JAZZ ABSTRACTIONS (1961).
Includes liner notes by Gary Kramer and Gunther Schuller.
Personnel: John Lewis (piano); Melvyn Broiles, Bernie Glow, Alan Kiger, Joe Wilder (trumpet); Gunther Schuller, Albert Richman, Ray Alonge, John Barrows (French horn); Dick Hixson, David Baker (trombone); Harvey Phillips, Jay McAllister (tuba); Geogre Duvivier (bass); Connie Kay (drums).
Originally released on Atlantic (1334).
Personnel includes: John Lewis (piano); Eric Dolphy (alto saxophone, flute, bass clarinet); Ornette Coleman (alto saxophone); Robert DiDomenica (flute); Eddie Costa (vibraphone); Bill Evans (piano); Jim Hall (guitar); Scott LaFaro, Alvin Brehm, George Duvivier (bass); Sticks Evans (drums); The Contemporary String Ensemble.
Originally released on Atlantic (1365).
Personnel: John Lewis (piano); Jim Hall (guitar); Charles Libove (violin); Harry Zaratzian, Alfred Brown (viola); Joe Tekula (cello); Eric Dolphy (flute, bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Robert DiDomenica (flute); Ornette Coleman (alto saxophone); Al Kiger, Joe Wilder, Melvin Broiles, Bernie Glow (trumpet); Al Richman, Gunther Schuller , John Barrows, Ray Alonge (French horn); David Baker , Dick Hixson (trombone); Jay McAllister, Harvey E. Phillips (tuba); Bill Evans (piano); Eddie Costa (vibraphone); Connie Kay, Sticks Evans (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Gary Kramer; Gunther Schuller .
In 1999, Collectables released The Golden Striker/John Lewis Presents Jazz Abstractions, which contained two complete albums -- The Golden Striker (1960, originally released on Atlantic) and John Lewis Presents Jazz Abstractions (1961, originally released on Atlantic) -- by John Lewis on one compact disc. ~ Jason Birchmeier
John LewisMilanese Story (Original Soundtrack) / Animal Dance (CD)
$5.98 CD Sale
John Lewis / Fred KazImprovised Meditations & Excursions / Eastern Exposure (CD)
$8.98 CD Sale
- Sales Rank: 14,486
- UPC: 090431625224
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Improvised Meditations & Excursions / Eastern Exposure
$8.98 CD Sale