|You Save:||$8.99 (60% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- "Tones For Joan's Bones" was originally released in 1968 as Vortex 2004, featuring the following personnel: Chick Corea (piano), Joe Farrell, (tenor sax or flute), Woody Shaw, Jr. (trumpet), Steve Swallow (bass), Joe Chambers (drums). Produced by Herbie Mann.
- "Mountain In The Clouds" was originally released in 1972 as Atlantic 1622, and features Miroslav Vitous (bass), Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone), Mahavishnu John McLaughlin (guitar), Herbie Hancock (electric piano), Jack DeJohnette (drums). On the songs "Cerecka" and "Epilogue", Joe Chambers replaces Jack DeJohnette on drums. Produced by Herbie Mann.
- The song "When Face Gets Pale" from the Miroslav Vitous album "Mountain In The Clouds" does not appear on this recording due to time restrictions.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Vortex 2004 (1968)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 1622 (1972)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Chick Corea is a masterful pianist as well as one of the most significant jazzmen for more than 30 years. Throughout his career, he has smoothly moved through all the worlds of jazz with great success: fusion, acoustic, electric jazz, avant-garde, Brazilian, and rock. This disc's other selection is by Weather Report founder Miroslav Vitous, one of the foremost bassists in the jazz-rock movement of the late '60s and early '70s, who is equally at home in the worlds of jazz and pop music. "Mountain" features Joe Henderson on tenor sax, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin on guitar, Herbie Hancock on electric piano and Jack DeJohnette on drums. Both albums were produced by Herbie Mann.
- 2.This Is New
- 3.Tones For Joan's Bones
- 4.Straight Up And Down
- 5.Freedom Jazz Dance
- 6.Mountain In The Clouds
- 9.Infinite Search
- 10.I Will Tell Him On You
Personnel: Chick Corea (piano); John McLaughlin (guitar); Joe Farrell (flute, tenor saxophone); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Herbie Hancock (electric piano); Jack DeJohnette, Joe Chambers (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Michael Cuscuna; Nat Hentoff.
This compilation hits a bull's-eye by pulling together two key sessions: Chick Corea's first as a leader, a blazing, advanced hard bop set from 1966, and Miroslav Vitous' Mountain in the Clouds, recorded in 1969 just prior to the bassist joining the original Weather Report. Corea's writing on Tones for Joan's Bones has an affinity with McCoy Tyner's seminal hard bop structures from this period. Tenor player Joe Farrell and trumpeter Woody Shaw are ideal for this music. They deliver virtuoso performances that are both visceral and cerebral. Steve Swallow, while later focusing exclusively on electric bass, often with a melodic, impressionistic approach, is pure thunder here. In a blindfold test his acoustic bass could be mistaken for Buster Williams'. Drummer Joe Chambers is all relentless, propulsive energy, but subtle too. Corea is a torrent of harmonic and melodic imagination, couched in unerring rhythm. On Vitous' fusion classic, Herbie Hancock's electric piano and John McLaughlin's electric guitar merge in a rich, dense, colorful foundation that affords Vitous and drummer Jack DeJohnette considerable freedom. McLaughlin combines the dreamy state he evokes on Miles Davis' In a Silent Way with the juddering rhythm attack heard on his own Extrapolation. Like Chambers, who actually takes the drum chair for two tracks, DeJohnette is powerful, creative, and passionate. The superbly recorded Vitous has a sound, technique, and concept that consistently sustain interest. Tenor giant Joe Henderson is on four tracks, including an intense, open-ended exploration of Eddie Harris' "Freedom Jazz Dance." Anybody with an interest in this vital and exciting period will find both of these sessions indispensable. ~ Jim Todd
Charles Lloyd / Warne MarshFlowering of The Original Charles Lloyd Quartet / Warne... (CD)
$5.98 on Sale
- Sales Rank: 523
- UPC: 090431623824
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul TOP 10 Bestseller
$3.98 on Sale
100 Hits: Lipstick on Your Collar: 100 Teenage Classics Of... TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$9.98 on Sale
101: Number Ones of the 50s & 60s, Volume 1 (4-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$9.98 on Sale