Claude Thornhill Buster's Last Stand
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 18, 2001
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Hep Records
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Funiculi-Funicula
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Humoresque
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Habanera
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Pop Goes The Weasel
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Stack O'Barley
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Where Has My Little Dog Gone
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Traumerai
- $0.99 on iTunes8.I'm Thrilled
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Something To Remember You By
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Night And Day
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Grieg's Piano Concerto
- $0.99 on iTunes12.I'll Pray For You
- $0.99 on iTunes13.She'll Always Remember
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Count Me In
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Be Careful It's My Heart
- $0.99 on iTunes16.I'm Getting Tired So I Can Sleep
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Buster's Last Stand
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Lullabye Of The Rain
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Lullabye Of The Rain
- $0.99 on iTunes20.There's A Small Hotel
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Rock A Bye Baby
- $0.99 on iTunes22.I Don't Know Why
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Moonlight Bay
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Stealin' Apples
- $0.99 on iTunes25.Moments Like This
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Claude Thornhill, Rusty Dedrick, Irving Fazola, Randy Brooks.
Contains 25 tracks.
Personnel: Claude Thornhill (piano); Bob Jenney (vocals, trombone); Snowflakes, Terry Allen , Lillian Lane, Buddy Stewart (vocals); Chuck Robinson , Barry Galbraith (guitar); Marty Berman (clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone, bass saxophone); Carl Swift (clarinet, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone); Bob Walter, Bob Walters, Dale Brown, Jack Ferrier (clarinet, alto saxophone); Hammond Russum (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Irving Fazola, Danny Polo (clarinet); Conn Humphreys (alto saxophone); Conrad Gozzo , Louis Mucci, Lyle "Rusty" Dedrick , Bob Sprentall, Steve Steck, Randy Brooks (trumpet); Michael Glass, Vinnie Jacobs, John Graas (French horn); Tasso Harris, Bud Smith (trombone); Dave Tough, Gene Leman, Lou Fromm (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Ted Kendall.
Liner Note Author: Alastair Robertson.
Recording information: 03/??/1941-07/24/1942.
Arrangers: Claude Thornhill; Bill Borden; Gil Evans; Dale Brown.
This CD wraps up Hep's three-CD reissue of all of the recordings of the 1940-1942 Claude Thornhill Orchestra. The disc begins with eight selections from radio transcription sessions recorded in March and April of 1941 and then continues with the 17 numbers (including two versions of "Lullabye of the Rain") that the Thornhill band cut during February through July of 1942. Among the more notable performances of this unique band (which by 1942 had two French horns and could not be classified as just "swing" or "sweet") are "Night and Day," "Grieg's Piano Concerto," "Buster's Last Stand" (one of nine songs arranged by Gil Evans), "There's a Small Hotel," "I Don't Know Why," and a surprisingly hot version of "Stealin' Apples." Although the soloists along the way include trumpeter Randy Brooks and clarinetist Danny Polo, it is the atmospheric ensembles that gave the Claude Thornhill Orchestra its own niche. ~ Scott Yanow
Claude Thornhill & His Orchestra (1941 & 1947) (CD)
$12.95 Winter Sale
Essential Jazz Singers: 46 Tracks from the World's Greatest... (CD) NEW
$6.98 Winter Sale
Rock On! The 100th Anniversary Collection: Twenty Years Of... (CD) NEW
$7.98 Winter Sale
By Arrangement: A Collection of Recordings Featuring Billy... (CD) NEW
$6.98 Winter Sale
Freedom Sound / Lookin' Ahead / At the Lighthouse (3-CD) NEW
$9.98 Winter Sale
Moods: 4 Original Albums (Alhambra / Happy Moods / Jamal at... (CD) NEW
$9.98 Winter Sale