At the Louisiana Hayride Tonight (20-CD)
by Various Artists
|PRESIDENTS' DAY SALE:||$251.09 ENDS TONIGHT|
|You Save:||$48.90 (16% Off)|
- Number of Discs: 20
- Released: December 8, 2017
- Originally Released: 2017
- Label: Bear Family
Description by OLDIES.com:
Most of this music has not been heard since the day it was broadcast.
- 529 ‘live’ tracks including previously unknown recordings by Hank Williams.
- 11 ‘as live’ studio-recorded transcriptions, including Kitty Wells, Johnnie and Jack, Hank Williams, and Curley Williams.
- 19 studio-recorded commercial discs, including hits by Slim Whitman, the Browns, Mitchell Torok, Jim Reeves, Mac Wiseman, and Carolyn Bradshaw.
- 167 artists in total, including Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Johnny Horton, Webb Pierce, Faron Young, Jim Reeves, George Jones, Johnny Cash, Rose Maddox, Frankie Miller, Cousin Emmy, June Carter, Roy Acuff, the Bailes Brothers, the Oklahoma Wranglers, Norma Jean, the Browns, the Carlisles, the Louvin Brothers, Jimmy Newman, Ray Price, Roger Miller, Ferlin Husky, Warren Smith, Wynn Stewart, Grandpa Jones, Rusty and Doug Kershaw, Slim Whitman, and the Wilburn Brothers.
- Hayride regulars including James O’Gwynn, Curley Williams, Red Sovine, Betty Amos, Harmie Smith, Buddy Attaway, Margie Singleton, Tony Douglas, Jack Ford, Werly Fairburn, Jeanette Hicks, Goldie Hill, Tibby Edwards, Hoot and Curley, Martha Lynn, Claude King, David Houston, Jerry Jericho, Bob Luman, Jimmy and Johnny, Merle Kilgore, Jimmy Martin, Johnny Mathis, Jimmy Lee, Charlie Walker, Billy Walker, and Dee Mullin.
- All backed by the ultra-talented Hayride staff bands, including Felton Pruett, Jimmy Day, Floyd Cramer, Sonny Trammell, James Burton, D. J. Fontana, Shot Jackson, Sonny Harville, Dobber Johnson, Buffalo Yount, Don Davis, and Tillman Franks.
This set is a front-row seat as Hank Williams takes to the stage, first as a relative newcomer and later as a troubled superstar. Elvis Presley brings rockabilly to the airwaves before anyone knew what he or his music was about. A parade of home-grown and out-of-town country hitmakers tussle with one another for encores, and encourage unknown newcomers who would wow the audience with their songs and performances most nights.
At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight - This is the first time the true magic of the iconic Louisiana Hayride has been revealed through extended excerpts from the three-hour Saturday night shows held every week from 1948 to 1960 and occasionally thereafter.
These long-buried musical performances are brought to life in chronological order interspersed with some of the announcements, intros, ads, comedy routines and mistakes that went to make up a live show in those days. Not least, we can hear Elvis Presley’s epoch-changing music as it was originally heard--as part of a country variety show.
At The Louisiana Hayride Tonight - Eighteen CDs chronicle the weekly Hayride. Two bonus CDs sample some of the post-1960 shows together with commercial recordings made in the KWKH radio studios, promotional discs and transcribed shows from KWKH’s early days.