Heaven Can Wait
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 10, 2017
- Originally Released: 1978
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, James Mason, Charles Grodin, Dyan Cannon, Buck Henry, Vincent Gardenia & Jack Warden|
|Performer:||Joseph Maher, Hamilton Camp, Arthur Malet, Stephanie Faracy, Frank Campanella, Dick Enberg, Dolph Sweet & R.G. Armstrong|
|Directed by||Warren Beatty & Buck Henry|
|Edited by||Robert C. Jones & Don Zimmerman|
|Screenplay by||Warren Beatty & Elaine May|
|Original story by||Harry Segall|
|Composition by||Dave Grusin|
|Produced by||Warren Beatty|
|Director of Photography:||William A. Fraker|
|Executive Production by||Hawk Koch & Charles McGuire|
Academy Awards 1978 - Best Art Direction - Set Decoration
The film drags its feet uncertainly from beginning to end.
Rating: 4/5 -- Still-relevant '70s comic fantasy has some profanity. Full Review
Common Sense Media
There's nothing worse than a pushy narrative.
New York Times
It's charming, witty, touching, and despite its previous incarnation, still fresh and original. Full Review
Gannett News Service
Rating: 2.5/5 -- There are a few laughs from Grodin and Cannon, but Beatty and Christie are like 400-pound gorillas chasing a milkweed seed. Full Review
Rating: B+ -- Supremely produced, this whimsical romantic comedy served as star vehicle for Julie Christie and Warren Beatty, who made an impressive co-directing debut with Buck Henry; the film deservedly won the Oscar for Art Direction. Full Review
...HEAVEN CAN WAIT is an outstanding film....[The] entire cast is excellent....[The] script and direction are very strong, providing a rich mix of visual and verbal humor...
When L.A. Rams quarterback Joe Pendleton (Beatty) is plucked from Earth too soon by an overzealous angel, he is sent back to Earth in another, older body. He struggles to regain his old spot in the line-up while straightening out his host's tangled affairs. Based not on the 1943 movie of the same name, but on 1941's Here Comes Mr. Jordan. Academy Award Nominations: 9, including Best Picture, Best Actor: Warren Beatty, Best Director: Beatty/Henry, Best Adapted Screenplay: Elaine May/Warren Beatty.
Afterlife | Classic | Fantasy | Ghosts | Romance | Switching Roles | Heaven | Recommended | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- Theatrical Release: June 28, 1978.
- Co-directors Buck Henry and Warren Beatty both made their film directing debuts with "Heaven Can Wait."
- Remake of "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" (1941), directed by Alexander Hall.
- Shot in California, with Movielab color, Panavision equipment. Released in USA June 28, 1978.
- Other cast members included Frank Campanella; Larry Block (Peters); Dick Enberg (The Interviewer); Ed V. Peck (Trainer); Deacon Jones and Curt Gowdy (TV Commentator).
- Titles by Wayne Fitzgerald; sound effects editor Dick Oswald; music editor Milton Lustig.
- "Sonata #3" by Handel performed by Paul Brodie and Antonin Kubalek.