Norman Blake Far Away, Down on a Georgia Farm
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: November 16, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Shanachie
No Depression - 5-6/00, pp.111-2"...Rugged, bent on asserting the individuality of his American voice...Blake has never made a more poignant or arresting record."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.New Century Hornpipe
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Whiskey Deaf and Whiskey Blind
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Far Away, Down on a Georgia Farm
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Goin' Back to the Blue Ridge Mountains
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Savannah Rag
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Pasquale Taraffo's First Night in Leadville
- $0.99 on iTunes7.The Winds of Time Won't Change
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Rag Baby Jig
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Thelma Hatfield
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Constitution March
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Faded Flowers in Old Love Letters
- $0.99 on iTunes12.And the Cat Came Back the Very Next Day
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Just Another Faded Love Song
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Give Me Back My Fifteen Cents
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Snowbird on the Ashbank
- $0.99 on iTunes16.The Wandering Drummer
- $0.99 on iTunes17.The Maple on the Hill
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Headlight Reel
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: Norman Blake (vocals, guitar, 6-string banjo, dobro, mandolin).
Recorded from June 26-28, 1998.
FAR AWAY, DOWN ON A GEORGIA FARM was nominated for the 2001 Grammy Award for Best Traditional Folk Album.
Personnel: Norman Blake (vocals, guitar, dobro, mandolin).
If there's any string-bending instrumentalist who has his finger on the pulse of rural American music, it's Norman Blake. Having mastered guitar, mandolin, and dobro, it's not surprising that Blake has quietly cobbled together an impressive solo career, in addition to carving out a niche for himself as a valued sideman for an impressive array of names including Bob Dylan, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash. For his 28th album, the Chattanooga native goes the solo route in a captivating mix of original compositions and traditional numbers.
Blake does a fine job of mixing his moods, whether he's delving into his traditional dance bag for sprightly numbers like "Headlight Reel" and "Rag Baby Jig," or more bittersweet material like "Just Another Faded Love Song" and "The Winds of Time Won't Change." Complementing this musical veteran's fluid and dexterous instrumental delivery is a warm and slightly twangy singing style that works to perfection on the Delmore Brothers' "Goin' Back to the Blue Ridge Mountains," and Blake's own nostalgic title track. FAR AWAY is a fulfilling slice of American music that warms the innards like a hot piece of apple pie.
Country Hit Parade 1953: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
Country Hit Parade 1949: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
Country Hit Parade 1952: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) NEW
Country Hit Parade 1948: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) NEW
Country Hit Parade 1950: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) NEW
Country Hit Parade 1951: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) NEW
Country Hit Parade 1957: 25 Original Recordings by the... (CD) NEW
Sweethearts of The Rodeo / One Time, One Night (CD)
$9.88 Presidents' Day Sale
Back Porch Bluegrass / Live Almost / Pickin' and Fiddlin'... (CD)
$16.04 Presidents' Day Sale