Elliot Goldenthal Frida [Music from the Motion Picture]
Special Order Item: Usually ships in 7-14 days
- Released: October 15, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Deutsche Grammophon
- 1.Frida, film score: Benediction and Dream
- 2.Frida, film score: The Floating Bed
- 3.Conejo, El
- 4.Paloma Negra
- 5.Frida, film score: Self Portrait With Hair Down
- 6.Alcoba Azul, song (for the film Frida)
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Carabina 30/30 (Corrido)
- 8.Frida, film score: Solo Tu
- 9.Gusto, El (Son Huasteco)
- 10.Frida, film score: The Journey
- 11.Antifaz, El
- 12.Frida, film score: The Suicide of Dorothy Hale
- 13.Frida, film score: La Cavalera
- 14.Bruja, La (Son Jarocho)
- 15.Frida, film score: Portrait of Lupe
- 16.Llorona, La
- 17.Frida, film score: Estrella Oscura
- 18.Frida, film score: Still Life
- 19.Frida, film score: Viva La Vida
- 20.Frida, film score: The Departure
- 21.Frida, film score: Coyoac n and Variations
- 22.Llorona, La
- 23.Frida, film score: Burning Bed
- 24.Frida, film score: Burn It Blue
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
This is an Enhanced CD, which contains both regular audio tracks and multimedia computer files.
Original score composed by Elliot Goldenthal.
Recorded at Manhattan Center, Zarathustra Hall, New York, New York and Churubusco Studios, Mexico City, Mexico. Includes liner notes by Elliot Goldenthal.
Personnel: Elliot Goldenthal (piano); Ernesto "El Canella" Anaya (vocals, guitar); Bill Ruyle (dulcimer); Javier Martinez (harp); Garo Yellin, Richard Locker (cello); Harvey Estrin (flute); Gil Goldstein (accordion); Bruce Williamson (saxophone); Valerie Naranjo (marimba, percussion); Jamey Haddad (percussion).
Audio Mixers: Joel Iwataki; Lawrence Manchester.
Liner Note Author: Elliot Goldenthal .
Recording information: Estudios Churubusco, Mexico City, Zarathustra Hall, NY; Manhattan Center Studio, NY.
Photographer: M rio Cravo Neto.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Lila Downs; Caetano Veloso; Chavela Vargas.
The first cut of this beautifully haunting soundtrack to an exotically seductive movie sums it up; Lila Downs's impassioned vocal and the almost ambient Latin overtones of the instrumental backing all point to a compelling trip through a mysterious Mexico that in the mid-20th century was still terra incognita to most Westerners. FRIDA is packed with musical jewels, such as the inclusion of Chavela Vargas's "Paloma Negra," recorded 40 years earlier. Vargas, a former lover of Frida Kahlo's, gives a performance that's more like a force of nature than anything else, devoid of sentimentality and yet viscerally affecting. But it's Lila Downs, who's featured throughout this soundtrack CD, who carries the show, particularly in her performance with the legendary Brazilian musician Caetano Veloso on "Burn it Blue," penned by the movie's director, Julie Taymor. Atmospheric instrumentals abound, and wonderful folk song vignettes are interspersed throughout, giving FRIDA an air of authenticity and purpose that lifts it head and shoulders above the usual run-of-the-mill Hollywood soundtrack collection.
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Special Ed.) (2-DVD)
$4.98 on Sale