Roy Acuff Columbia Historic Edition
- Released: September 8, 1987
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Sony Music MOD
- $0.99 on iTunes1.The Streamlined Cannon Ball
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Lonesome Old River Blues - (previously unreleased)
- $0.99 on iTunes3.You're the Only Star (In My Blue Heaven)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Wabash Cannonball
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Drifting Too Far from the Shore
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Steel Guitar Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Ida Red
- $0.99 on iTunes8.I'll Be Alone - (previously unreleased)
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Low and Lonely
- $0.99 on iTunes10.When I Lay My Burden Down
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Wonder Is All I Do - (previously unreleased)
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Weary Lonesome Blues - (previously unreleased)
- $0.99 on iTunes13.New Greenback Dollar
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Freight Train Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Heart That Was Broken for Me, The - (previously unreleased)
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Southbound Train, The - (previously unreleased)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Roy Acuff (vocals, fiddle); Sam "Dynamite" Hatcher (vocals, harmonica); Jess Easterley (guitar, mandolin, bass); Lonnie Wilson (guitar); Pete "Oswald" Kirby, Clell Summey (dobro); Jimmie Riddle (harmonica); Frank "Red" Jones, Velma Williams, Joe Zinkan (bass).
Recorded between 1936 & 1951. Includes liner notes by John Rumble.
Personnel: Roy Acuff (vocals, fiddle, sound effects); Pete "Oswald" Kirby (vocals, guitar, dobro, banjo); Clell Summey (vocals, dobro); Rachel Veach (vocals, banjo); Frank Jones (vocals, strings); Jess Easterday (guitar, mandolin, strings); Lonnie Wilson (guitar, strings); Benny Martin (fiddle); Velma Williams, Joe Zinkan (strings); Jimmy Riddle (harmonica, accordion).
Liner Note Author: John W. Rumble.
Editor: Sally Hinkle.
Illustrator: Leslie Cabarda.
This compilation of early Roy Acuff recordings, from 1938 to the mid-'40s, is interesting because it focuses less on Acuff's singing than it does on his underappreciated virtues as a fiddle player. In fact, on this version of Acuff's signature song, "Wabash Cannonball," Acuff only plays the fiddle and blows the train whistle; the vocals are handled by another member of Acuff's Smoky Mountain Boys, the delightfully-named Dynamite Hatcher. Though Acuff does sing on several tracks, COLUMBIA HISTORIC EDITION places his earliest recordings in their proper historical context, a feat that a surprisingly small number of country music compilations seem to manage. The remastered sound is miles ahead of any earlier reissue of this music, and the music itself is undeniable.
Chet Atkins And His Guitar / The Guitar Genius (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - History of Rock: The Rockin' 60's, Part 1 (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$2.98 on SALE
Ultimate Doo Wop Collection, Volume 1: Top 50 Doo Wop &... (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$6.98 on SALE
Little Steven's Underground Garage Presents: The Coolest... (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$4.98 on SALE