Groundhog Day (4K UltraHD + Blu-ray)
He’s having the worst day of his life … over, and over …
|You Save:||$2.09 (7% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 5 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 23, 2018
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Encoding: Region A
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell & Chris Elliott|
|Performer:||Stephen Tobolowsky, Brian Doyle-Murray, Marita Geraghty, Angela Paton, Rick Ducommun, Harold Ramis & Robin Duke|
|Directed by||Harold Ramis|
|Edited by||Pembroke Herring|
|Screenwriting by||Danny Rubin & Harold Ramis|
|Composition by||George Fenton|
|Art Direction by||Peter Lansdown Smith|
|Produced by||Trevor Albert, C.O. Erickson, Harold Ramis & Whitney White|
|Director of Photography:||John Bailey|
Murray's performance doesn't only elevate the film to a completely different level but also elevates the work being put in by the rest of the cast. Full Review
Solzy at the Movies
While Murray's deadpan putdowns and dry dismissals of provincial peccadilloes are the comic highlights, Groundhog Day is no supercilious rip of small-town U.S.A. Full Review
...This remains one of the most adventurous studio films of its era...
Sight and Sound
Rating: 4/5 -- Groundhog Day may not be the funniest collaboration between Bill Murray and director Harold Ramis... Yet this gentle, small-scale effort is easily the most endearing film of both men's careers, a sweet and amusing surprise package. Full Review
Los Angeles Times
...[Elliott] steals the laughs whenever he's in the frame... -- Rating: A-
It would be impossible to understand the movie without that casual and inevitable tone delivered by Ramis and Murray. [Full Review in Spanish] Full Review
...Murray's weatherman is tailor-made for his smug screen persona....Stephen Tobolowsky is hilarious...
Once again, for the fifth year in a row, TV weatherman Phil Connors (Bill Murray) is forced to cover the Groundhog Day ceremonies in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, an assignment he truly despises. But this year something truly bizarre happens after he finishes the report: When he wakes up the next morning, ready to leave, he discovers it's February 2 all over again. He tries to tell his producer, Rita (Andie MacDowell), what's happening, but neither she nor anyone else understands; only he remembers that they've already lived through Groundhog Day. When the same thing happens the next morning, he thinks he's going insane and wreaks havoc all through the town. More and more mornings pass, all of them February 2, and all of them with an ever angrier Phil. Desperate to escape, he even tries suicide, but still another February 2 dawns. As he starts realizing that his exploits are not making time march on any quicker, Phil begins to change his behavior, performing a series of lifesaving tasks until he becomes a model citizen, hoping it will be enough to get him out of Punxsutawney forever. Along the way he learns more about the people around him--and himself--than he ever thought possible. The film is extremely well put together by director Harold Ramis, and the script by Danny Rubin and Ramis is sharp and clever. The actors--many of whom have to perform essentially the same scene over and over again, with only subtle differences--are a riot.
Frank Capra meets Rod Serling in this high-concept comedy that thoroughly follows through on its premise. As a cynical weatherman, Phil Connors (Bill Murray) finds himself trapped by a blizzard he failed to predict and doomed to repeat the worst day of his life over and over again. At first he is horrified at the prospect of living forever in the small town of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, home of the groundhog, but eventually he must discover the key to moving his life forward.
Classic | Romance | Time Travel | Self-Discovery | Recommended | Surreal | Theatrical Release | Essential Cinema
- GROUNDHOG DAY is number 34 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Funniest Movies.
- Bill Murray got his start on the NBC television show Saturday Night Live. He was part of their second season, replacing fellow comedian Chevy Chase. His first film was MEATBALLS (1977).
- The Groundhog was played by Scooter.
- Murray appears here with his brother, Brian Doyle-Murray. Murray and director Harold Ramis have also worked together before, most notably on GHOSTBUSTERS, CADDYSHACK, and STRIPES.
- Bill Murray had a very successful beginning to 1993, with two popular and critically well received films: GROUNDHOG DAY and MAD DOG AND GLORY, directed by John McNaughton, costarring Robert De Niro and Uma Thurman. Murray said about his role in GROUNDHOG DAY: "You know, it's nice knowing you're doing your job well. It makes you--well, it makes me, anyway--goofy."
- Susie Stevens performed "Take Me Round Again," Frankie Yankovic performed "Pennsylvania Polka," and Terry Fryer wrote, produced and performed "Phil's Piano Solo." The song "La Bourree du Celibatoire" was also performed in the film.
- "Well, what if there is no tomorrow' There wasn't one today."--Phil Connors (Bill Murray)
It's a Wonderful Life (Platinum Anniversary Ed.) (2-DVD)
$15.40 Super Savings
Abbott & Costello - Meet the Creature from the Black Lagoon...
$8.40 Super Savings