A Christmas Carol
|You Save:||$1.45 (10% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
item number: QHR4
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 16, 2012
- Originally Released: 1951
- Label: VCI Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Introduction by Leonard Maltin
- "Dead to Begin With" The Darker Side of a Classic" - Featuring British film historian and culturalist Sir Christopher Frayling
- "Scrooge by Another Name: Distributing A Christmas Carol" - Featurette with US distributor Richard Gordon
- "The Human Blarney Stone" Life and Films of Brian Desmond Hurst" with Allan Esler Smith, the great-great nephew and biographer of Hurst
- "Alastair Sim Version: Too Good to be Shown only at Christmastime" by Fred Guida, author of "A Christmas Carol and Its Adaptations"
- "Silent Dickens" - a collection of early examples of Dickens on film (Scrooge-1922 and Bleak House- 1922)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.37
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Alastair Sim, Kathleen Harrison & Jack Warner|
|Directed by||Brian Desmond Hurst|
|Edited by||Clive Donner|
|Screenwriting by||Noel Langley|
|Composition by||Richard Addinsell|
|Story by||Charles Dickens|
|Produced by||George Minter|
|Director of Photography:||C. Pennington-Richards|
All depends, therefore, in the making of a film from this story, on the re-creation of this atmosphere in dramatic terms. It cannot be said that Brian Desmond Hurst has been altogether successful in this respect. Full Review
Monthly Film Bulletin
Though Dickens' frank sentimentality calls for broad treatment, Brian Desmond Hurst's direction is too often heavy as well. Full Review
...This flick is not only the gold standard against which all other holiday films should be measured, but also one of the greatest films ever made, period...
Other Christmas Carols need not apply. Full Review
Rating: 5/5 -- This is easily the best screen version of the much loved yuletide tale. Full Review
Rating: 4/5 -- This faithful adaptation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol is a rare beast indeed, a genuinely affecting melodrama. Full Review
Rating: A+ -- The cinematography is uniformly strong with gorgeous shadows, lighting and atmosphere. Full Review
Ebeneezer Scrooge (Alastair Sim) contentedly meanders through his life as a cruel miser until one fateful Christmas Eve when he is visited by three ghosts. The spirits show him how his behavior has degenerated over the years as his heart has become colder. Using events from Scrooge's idealistic past, dreary present, and dismal future, the apparitions try their best to melt his steely soul. Will Scrooge see the error of his ways and learn the true meaning of Christmas' Check out this hailed classic and find out! Many critics widely consider this the definitive film version of Charles Dickens' cherished novel.
In this adaptation of the Charles Dickens' classic, "A Christmas Carol," a remake of the 1938 film, miser Ebenezer Scrooge learns the true meaning of Christmas and reforms his heartless and money-grubbing ways after being visited on Christmas Eve by four Ghosts: his old business partners Jacob and Marley, the Ghost of Christmas Past, the Ghost of Christmas Present, and the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.
- A remake of the 1938 film.
- Additional cast: Olga Edwardes (Fred's Wife); Michael Dolan (The Spirit of Christmas Past); C. Konarski (Spirit of the Future); Noel Howlett (1st Collector); Fred Johnson (2nd Collector); and Douglas Muir (2nd Businessman).
- Sales Rank: 112,838
- UPC: 089859885129
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item