Ma Rainey Ma Rainey [Milestone]
|You Save:||$0.48 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Released: 1992
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Milestone
Down Beat - 8/92, p.515 Stars - Excellent - "..recording from '24 to '28 with Don Redman, Fletcher Henderson, Louis Armstrong and Coleman Hawkins among her sidemen in accompaniments that only had to be serviceable, but are more often than not inspired, Gertrude Mallissa Pridgett moves us still.."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Jealous Hearted Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes2.See See Rider Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Jelly Bean Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Countin' The Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Slave To The Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Chain Gang Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Bessemer Bound Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Wringin' And Twistin' Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Mountain Jack Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes10.Trust No Man
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Morning Hour Blues
- $1.29 on iTunes12.Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
- $0.99 on iTunes13.New Boweavil Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Black Cat, Hoot Owl Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Hear Me Talking To You
- $1.29 on iTunes16.Prove It On Me
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Victim Of The Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Sleep Talking Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Blame It On The Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Daddy, Goodbye Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Sweet Rough Man
- $0.99 on iTunes22.Black Eye Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Leavin' This Morning
- $0.99 on iTunes24.Runaway Blues
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Ma Rainey, Fletcher Henderson, Louis Armstrong, Buster Bailey, Coleman Hawkins, Lil Henderson, Blind Blake, "Georgia Tom" Dorsey Tampa Red, Joe Smith.
Includes liner notes by Dan Morgenstern.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1991, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: Ma Rainey (vocals); Blind Blake (guitar); Charlie Dixon (banjo); Tampa Red (kazoo); Buster Bailey (clarinet); Coleman Hawkins (saxophone); Louis Armstrong (trumpet); Howard Scott , Joe "Fox" Smith (cornet); Charlie Green (trombone); Lil Henderson, Fletcher Henderson, Georgia Tom, Jimmy Blythe (piano); Jimmy Bertrand (xylophone); Joseph "Kaiser" Marshall (drums).
Liner Note Author: Dan Morgenstern.
Recording information: Chicago, IL (10/1924-09/1928); New York, NY (10/1924-09/1928).
Unknown Contributor Roles: Coleman Hawkins; Fletcher Henderson; Tub Jug Washbord Band; Georgia Tom; Louis Armstrong; Tampa Red; Blind Blake; Buster Bailey.
Nobody could belt it out like Ma Rainey, and here's a great collection that showcases it. All of the lady's biggest hits ("See See Rider," "Jealous Hearted Blues," "Black Cat, Hoot Owl Blues," "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom") are here, and the sound is as good as one can expect from the old Paramount 78s, probably the worst-pressed discs of the 1920s. Still, Ma's ebullient personality comes through the hisses and pops and scratches loud and clear. An essential blues buy for the collection. ~ Cub Koda
Dianne ReevesGood Night, and Good Luck. (Original Motion Picture... (CD)
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (Music From The Motion...
$5.98 on Sale
Essential Collection: Golden Piano Memories (3-CD)
$10.98 on Sale