New Jack City (Blu-ray)
They're a new breed of gangster. The new public enemy. The new family of crime.
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.60 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.37 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 14, 2012
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by Director/Costar Mario Van Peebles
- 3 Featurettes
- 3 Music Videos
- Van Peebles Parody
- Theatrical Trailer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Wesley Snipes & Judd Nelson|
|Performer:||Ice-T, Mario Van Peebles, Chris Rock, Michael Michele, Tracy Camila Johns, Allen Payne, Bill Nunn, Bill Cobbs & Vanessa Williams|
|Directed by||Mario Van Peebles|
|Edited by||Steven Kemper|
|Screenplay by||Thomas Lee Wright & Barry Michael Cooper|
|Story by||Thomas Lee Wright|
|Produced by||George Jackson & Doug McHenry|
|Director of Photography:||Francis Kenny|
Filmmakers pull off a provocative, pulsating update on gangster pics with this action-laden epic about the rise and fall of an inner city crack dealer. Full Review
[I]t helped kick-start rap's march into the mainstream, and ignite black Hollywood.
Rating: 2.5/4 -- We all know New Jack City is making the right statement on drugs, racism, the system, etc. But the fact is it's not very good. Full Review
Rating: C+ -- A cynical director, Van Peebles has style to burn, but his work is too flashy to make sense. This is a gangster-thriller about crack trade in Hralem done as a moralistic melodrama with kinky violence. Full Review
NEW JACK CITY codified the hip-hop-gangsta image as much as any Ruthless Records release...
Van Peebles wanted to tell this story; his heart is in it, and it's got a killer beat. Full Review
It's a superior example of what used to be called blaxploitation, with Van Peebles piling on corruption and carnage for all he's worth. Full Review
A violent, kinetic gangster film with a strong anti-drug message, NEW JACK CITY is set in the mid-1980s during the height of the crack epidemic. Two street-wise undercover cops (Judd Nelson, Mario Van Peebles) go after Nino Brown (Wesley Snipes), a ruthless drug lord with extravagant taste in home furnishings. Desperate to bring down his multi-million dollar cocaine empire, they send Pookie (Chris Rock), a former street hustler and rehabilitated crack addict, into Nino's drug factory as an undercover spy. When the plan misfires, the cops must face Nino and his henchman in a bloody showdown.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Estimated budget of $8.5 million.
- Shot on location in Harlem and the Bronx, New York, in Technicolor.
- Began shooting April 16, 1990; completed shooting June 6, 1990.
Released in North America March 8, 1991. Released on video August 7, 1991. Rereleased in New York City for a special run at the Joseph Papp Public Theater September 6-19, 1991.
- Directorial debut for actor Mario Van Peebles, the son of actor and pioneering black director Melvin Van Peebles.
- A $40 million dollar law suit was filed in New York Supreme Court in June 17, 1991 by Kurt Anthony against Wesley Snipes and the films producers. Anthony, an actor and screenwriter, claimed that Snipes lifted the idea for the film directly from a screenplay entitled "Innocent Blood" that Anthony had written and shown to Snipes.
- Shown at Sundance Film Festival, Park City, Utah January 17-27, 1991. According to Variety, the film was presented as a "last-minute 'special preview' to stimulate dialog[ue] about drug issues before its March release." Also shown at Filmfest Munich (International Program) June 1991 and International Taormina Film Festival July 21-28, 1991.
Under Siege / Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (Blu-ray)
$18.70 Super Savings
Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up... TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$2.98 on Sale
Vintage Thrillers Collection (The Most Dangerous Game /...
$4.98 on Sale