Immortal Beloved (Blu-ray)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$18.90 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.09 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: August 21, 2007
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.39
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - Arabic, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Jeroen Krabbé, Isabella Rossellini, Johanna Ter Steege & Valeria Golino|
|Directed by||Bernard Rose|
Moments like these may lift Immortal Beloved high enough for even the most skeptical of purists to forgive it. Moments like these and, of course, all that glorious music. Full Review
A turgid affair with a palette that recalls used Ace bandages. Full Review
3 stars out of 5 -- Oldman gets the madness of the man perfectly; but the real star of the show is Rose, who time and again finds brilliant evocations of Beethoven's music...
Rating: 2/5 -- Puffed up and pompous, but puny, this is a stodgy pudding of a film that moves at a snail's pace and tries unsuccessfully to accommodate wildly different performing styles from actors of various countries. Full Review
...Beethoven dazzlingly impersonated by [Oldman]....An extremely ambitious classical music video...
New York Times
Ultimately, Beloved has all the sound and fury of Beethoven's music but none of its emotional resonance. Full Review
Rating: 2/4 -- Da-da-da-DUMB! Full Review
A lush, epic staging of the life and loves of Ludwig Van Beethoven, this film examines the tempestuous composer through one man's search for Beethoven's supposed "Immortal Beloved." The sequence involving the first public performance of the Ninth Symphony is particularly stirring.
Shortly after Ludwig van Beethoven's death, a mysterious letter signed by the musical genius appears: "What longings with tears for you...my life...my everything...farewell then...Go on loving me, ever yours, ever mine, forever, L.." These mysterious words prove the existence of one true love for Beethoven in the midst of numerous affairs -- and never a marriage -- with countesses. However, throughout history, Beethoven's "Immortal Beloved" remains unknown until now, where with enough evidence, Beethoven's "longing" is revealed, disclaiming all previous theories and biographies about one of the greatest composers who ever lived.
Classical Music | Mystery | Romance | Thriller | True Story | Tragedy | Recommended | Character Study | Period Piece | Theatrical Release
- Released theatrically in the USA December 16, 1994.
- Shot in Rank color and Panavision, Technicolor prints, Eastman Color Film from Kodak.
- In Dolby Spectral Recording.
- Shot on location in the Czech Republic, in cooperation with Balzer International Films, Ltd. Prague.
- Additional cast: Luigi Diberti (Franz Josef); Donal Gibson (Karl Holz); Matthew North (Young Karl van Beethoven); Geno Lechner (Josephine); and Claudia Solti (Theresa).
- Additional credits: Jim Lemley & Chris Silver Finigan (production managers); John Stronach (music supervisor); Tirelli Costume Roma (costumes).
- Music by Beethoven used in the film courtesy of Sony Classical:
"Missa Solemnis in D Major, Op. 123"
"Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat Major, Op. 73" (Emperor)
"Violin Sonata in A Major, Op. 47" (Kreutzer)
"Piano Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13" (Pathetique)
"Symphony No. 3 in E-flat Major, Op. 55" (Eroica)
"Piano Sonata No. 14 (quasi una fantasia) in C-sharp Minor,
Op. 27, No. 2" (Moonlight)
"Violin Concerto in D Major, Op. 61"
"Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67"
"Piano Trio No. 4 in D Major, Op. 70, No. 1" (Ghost)
"Symphony N. 6 in F Major, Op. 68"
"Symphony No. 9 in D Minor, Op. 124"
"Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Op. 92"
"String Quartet, Op. 130"
"Christus am Olberge, Oratorio, Op. 85"
- "The Thieving Magpie" by Gioacchino Rossini.
- Copyright 1994 Icon Distribution Inc.
Vintage Thrillers Collection (The Most Dangerous Game /...
$4.98 on Sale