When Harry Met Sally
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Mgm (Video & Dvd)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Surround - English, Spanish, French
- Stereo 2.0 - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentaries - Rob Reiner - Director; Nora Ephron - Screenwriter; Billy Crystal - Star
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes (8)
- "It All Started Like This"
- "Stories of Love"
- "When Rob Met Billy"
- "Billy on Harry"
- "I Love New York"
- "What Harry Meeting Sally Meant"
- "So Can Men and Women Really Be Friends'"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan|
|Performer:||Bruno Kirby, Carrie Fisher & Lisa Jane Persky|
|Directed by||Rob Reiner|
|Edited by||Robert Leighton|
|Screenwriting by||Nora Ephron|
|Produced by||Rob Reiner & Andrew Scheinman|
|Director of Photography:||Barry Sonnenfeld|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'll have what she's having."--Deli patron (Estelle Reiner
- Rob's mother) after Sally has dramatically faked an orgasm in Katz's Deli
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Even if you don't agree with its leanings, the movie is witty enough to break down any and all resistance. Full Review
When Harry Met Sally... remains the gold standard some thirty years later when it comes to the romantic comedy genre. Full Review
Solzy at the Movies
...This sweet, romantic fairy tale speaks for itself. -- Rating: B+
Rating: 5/5 -- An outright masterpiece of romance, comedy, and cinema itself. Full Review
Rating: 5/5 -- Just as fresh, witty and warm as it was in 1989. Full Review
...A benchmark for laugh-packed rom-coms, filled with witty dialogue and classy comedy performances...
...[Crystal and Ryan] are appealing and sometimes even unpredictable....Perfectly pleasant...
New York Times
WHEN HARRY MET SALLY... tracks a star-crossed pair as they repeatedly drift apart and meet again over a span of 13 years and gradually fall madly, deeply, passionately into friendship, a friendship ever teetering on the edge of love. Harry meets Sally when they share a car ride to New York City upon graduation from the University of Chicago. A few minutes into the trip, the conversation between womanizing, neurotic Harry (Billy Crystal) and driven, equally neurotic Sally (Meg Ryan) becomes heatedly contentious. The question arises: Can a man and a woman be just friends' Harry contends this proposition is impossible, that sex will always come along to screw up the friendship. Sally is aghast and disagrees, proclaiming the idea a distinct possibility. The two part ways rather acrimoniously in New York but before long meet again and eventually decide to indeed be friends. As life's mysterious coincidences pull Harry and Sally closer together, they share mystical, tender moments, confess secrets to each other, console each other, attend major holidays together, and do all the other things couples traditionally do. The question then reemerges: Can Harry and Sally remain mere friends, or will they--must they--fall in love' And can anyone forget Ryan's classic faking-it scene in Katz's Deli'
Description by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment:
"Brimming over with style, intelligence and flashing wit" (Rolling Stone), this "splendid and irresistible" (Los Angeles Times) film from director Rob Reiner (American President is one of the best-loved romantic comedies of all time. Featuring dazzling performances from Meg Ryan, Billy Crystal, Carrie Fisher and Bruno Kirby, exceptional music from Harry Connick Jr., and an Oscar®-nominated* screenplay by Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally is an "explosively funny" commentary on friendship, courtships - and other hardships - of the modern age (Newsweek)! Will sex ruin a perfect relationship between a man and a woman' that's what Harry (Crystal) and Sally (Ryan) debate during their travels from Chicago to New York. And eleven years and later, they're still no closer to finding the answer. Will these two best friends ever accept that they're meant for each other...or will they continue to deny the attraction that's existed since the first moment When Harry Met Sally'
Director Rob Reiner's WHEN HARRY MET SALLY... is a comedy about the romantic travails of two neurotic New Yorkers who keep running into each other over a period of 13 years and form a friendship that constantly verges on romance. As the two stubbornly resist courting each other, they gradually realize there may be no two people more qualified to be in love in this delightful, anecdotal film.
- Theatrical release: July 21, 1989.
- Limited release in New York City, San Francisco, San Jose, Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver: July 12, 1989. Released in Los Angeles on July 14, 1989.
- Shown at the Deauville Film Festival on September 4, 1989; the Tokyo International Film Festival on September 30, 1989; and the London Film Festival November 10-26, 1989.
- Filmed in New York City, New York; Hollywood and Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; and New Jersey.
- Shooting began on August 29, 1988, and was completed on November 15, 1988.
- Estimated budget between $15 and $17 million.
- Director Rob Reiner and close friend Billy Crystal were born just six days apart in New York City in March 1947.
- Screenwriter Nora Ephron wrote the scripts for other films such as SILKWOOD and MY BLUE HEAVEN before going on to direct films such as SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and YOU'VE GOT MAIL.
- The scene where Harry (Billy Crystal) and Sally (Meg Ryan) spot each other at a bookstore takes place in a branch of the small chain Shakespeare & Co., which was located at 79th & Broadway in New York City. This location was one of many smaller stores which went out of business around the time a Barnes & Noble megastore opened in nearby Lincoln Center. This store and the stores which went out of business around it would be a model for the activity in the 1998 Nora Ephron film, YOU'VE GOT MAIL.
- The customer at Katz's Deli who wants to have what Sally is having is Estelle Reiner, Rob Reiner's mother and Carl Reiner's wife.
It Happened One Night (Criterion Collection) (2-DVD)
$26.10 Super Savings
You've Got Mail ( + The Shop Around the Corner DVD)...
$12.10 Super Savings
House of Wax (1953) / Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
$12.10 Super Savings