An Affair to Remember (50th Anniversary Edition) (2-DVD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.20 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.79 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Mono - Spanish
- Stereo - English, French
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
Disc 1: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER - New Digital Transfer
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Marnie Nixon - Music Performer; Joseph McBride - Film Historian
Disc 2: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER - Supplemental Material
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: "Fox Movietonews: AFFAIR TO REMEMBER Shipboard Premiere Attracts Celebrities"
- Trailers: Trailer
- "Affairs to Remember: Deborah Kerr"
- "Affairs to Remember: Cary Grant"
- "Directed by Leo McCarey"
- "A Producer to Remember: Jerry Wald"
- "The Look of AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER"
- "AMC Backstory: AFFAIR TO REMEMBER"
- Galleries: Poster Art
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Deborah Kerr & Cary Grant|
|Performer:||Cathleen Nesbitt, Neva Patterson, Richard Denning & Fortunio Bonanova|
|Directed by||Leo McCarey|
|Edited by||James B. Clark|
|Screenwriting by||Delmer Daves & Leo McCarey|
|Composition by||Hugo Friedhofer|
|Story by||Mildred Cram|
|Produced by||Jerry Wald|
|Director of Photography:||Milton R. Krasner|
5 stars out of 5 -- This is a classic, combining romance, drama, comedy and style....A love story, but one that touches the heart...
Rating: 2.5/5 -- surprisingly tedious
McCarey plays the shipboard courtship for generous and tender laughs-the wryly staged first kiss is one of the sweetest in all cinema-but the comedy that follows on dry land is mostly inadvertent. Full Review
Rating: 67/100 -- Romantic and over the top, but Cary Grant excels in these situations and it almost saves a movie that seemed to lose its way. Full Review
Rating: 5/5 -- Soap opera-ish Cary Grant/Deborah Kerr starrer still tugs at heart.
Kansas City Kansan
This much-revived weepie has inspired remakes and pastiches and it's easy to understand why -- McCarey knows just how to crank up the emotions....This is a film that defies you to be cynical about it.
Sight and Sound
Cheapened by the many references in Sleepless in Seattle, An Affair to Remember plays much better than you might imagine. Full Review
In this legendary tearjerker, the world's most eligible bachelor (Cary Grant) is set to marry an heiress. But unfortunately for his bride-to-be, while he's traveling alone on a luxury liner he meets Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) and realizes he's engaged to the wrong woman--and she's engaged to the wrong man. They finally agree to spend six months apart; if they still love each other at the end of that time, they will reunite at the top of the Empire State Building. But the path of true love does not always run smooth, and tragedy threatens to tear the couple apart. Leo McCarey directed both the original (LOVE AFFAIR) and this remake, and viewers often amiably battle over which film is the more touching. This much-loved film features the Academy Award-nominated title song and a splendid supporting cast.
Leo McCarey's lighthearted romance combines with tragedy to tell the tale of two lovers who long to be together but are engaged to others.
Romance | Tear Jerker | Love Story | Tragedy | Recommended | Theatrical Release | New York City | Essential Cinema
- AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER figures prominently in SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, in which the female characters watch it constantly, with tears in their eyes. (The men watch it uncomprehendingly and untouched.)
- This version is a remake of McCarey's 1939 film LOVE AFFAIR. According to Richard Roud in his CINEMA: A CRITICAL DICTIONARY, McCarey preferred the first version because "Cary Grant's irony in the remake took away from the 'beauty' of the original." The film was remade again in 1994 with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening.
- The film was shown on the American Movie Classics cable network in its original Widescreen format in February 1994.
Guyana: Crime of the Century (1979) / Carlos the Terrorist...
$3.98 Super Savings
Rare Christmas TV Classics - Volume 2 (The Gift / The...
$5.95 on Sale
Vintage Thrillers Collection (The Most Dangerous Game /...
$4.98 on Sale
The 6 Degrees Collection (The Big Picture / Flatliners /...
$14.20 Super Savings