|You Save:||$0.98 (5% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: January 20, 2017
- Originally Released: 2017
- Label: Grateful Dead / Wea
Uncut"[T]he reissue argues the case that the Dead initially had the fuzz-and-Farfisa sound that would still get them on the hippest garage-rock compilations today."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.152"This is the Dead as garage band....It's improved with age and re-mastering, restoring faded guitars solos and adding prime outtakes..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Golden Road, The (To Unlimited Devotion)
- 2.Beat It on Down the Line
- 3.Good Mornin' Little School Girl
- 4.Cold Rain and Snow
- 5.Sittin' on Top of the World
- 6.Cream Puff War
- 7.Morning Dew
- 8.New, New Minglewood Blues
- 9.Viola Lee Blues
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Standing on the Corner - (live)
- 2.I Know You Rider - (live)
- 3.Next Time You See Me - (live)
- 4.Sittin' on Top of the World - (live)
- 5.You Don't Have to Ask - (live)
- 6.Big Boss Man - (live)
- 7.Stealin' - (live)
- 8.Cardboard Cowboy - (live)
- 9.It's All Over Now, Baby Blue - (live)
- 10.Cream Puff War - (live)
- 11.Viola Lee Blues - (live)
- 12.Beat It on Down the Line - (live)
- 13.Good Mornin' Little Schoolgirl - (live)
- 14.Cold Rain and Snow - (live)
- 15.One Kind Favor - (live)
- 16.Hey Little One - (live)
- 17.New, New Minglewood Blues - (live)
The Grateful Dead: Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir (vocals, guitar); Ron "Pigpen" McKernan (vocals, harmonica, keyboards); Phil Lesh (vocals, bass); Bill Kreutzmann (drums, percussion).
Recorded at RCA Victor Studio A, Hollywood, California and Coast Recorders, San Francisco, California. Includes liner notes by Blair Jackson.
All tracks have been digitally remastered using HDCD technology.
The Grateful Dead's self-titled first album contains the main ingredients of the unique musical stew the band would brew over the coming years. Upon its release in March 1967, it brought the musical and philosophical ideals of the freak counter-culture out of the Bay Area and into the ears of mainstream America.
"The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)" is a Summer Of Love anthem nonpareil. "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl" shows off the Dead's ability to reinterpret the blues, and Pigpen's natural front-man qualities. The hyperactive rockabilly of Jesse Fuller's "Beat It On Down The Line" and the rearranged traditionals "Sitting On Top Of The World" and "Cold Rain And Snow" are proof that, despite the group's anti-establishment fashions, their lyrical symbols and musical forms were as time-honored as the English folk-tale that provided their name. While the cover of Bonnie Dobson's eerie anti-war epic "Morning Dew" and the women-and-wine rocker "New, New Minglewood Blues" are energetic portrayals of hippie values, the closing number, Noah Lewis's "Viola Lee Blues," is the album's grand, mind-blowing concoction and a highlight. The remastered version's live bonus tracks include some never-recorded garage-rock and blues cuts and a 23-minute "Viola Lee Blues" bearing the first hints of the modal riff at the foundation of Dead milestone "Dark Star."
Fela KutiThe Complete Works of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti (29-CD + DVD)
Bob DylanThe Bootleg Series, Volume 15: Travelin' Thru (3-CD)
$53.98 on Sale