Fiddler on the Roof
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$12.10 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.88 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
- Rated: G
- Run Time: 3 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 7, 2009
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Mgm (Video & Dvd)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Norman Jewison - Director; Topol - Star
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Norma Crane, Theodore Bikel, Paul Mann, Michele Marsh, Molly Picon, Rosalind Harris, Paul Michael Glaser & Leonard Frey|
|Directed by||Norman Jewison|
|Edited by||Antony Gibbs & Robert Lawrence|
|Screenwriting by||Joseph Stein|
|Composition by||John Williams|
|Produced by||Norman Jewison|
|Director of Photography:||Oswald Morris|
Academy Awards 1971 - Best Cinematography: Oswald Morris
Academy Awards 1971 - Best Original Song Score and Adaptation: John Williams
Academy Awards 1971 - Best Sound: Not Applicable
Rating: 2/5 -- The choreography is clumsy, the acting caricatured, and the songs themselves painfully overblown. Full Review
5 stars out of 5 -- A magnificent realization which tugs at all the emotions with skill, artistry and great enthusiasm.
Rating: 4.5/5 -- There's a vibrant nature to the acting in this film that warms the heart and makes it feel comfortable, even when things aren't going so great for the characters. Full Review
Rating: 2.5/5 -- They want to show us everything, to give us our money's worth. In so doing, they've not just opened up the play, they've let most of the life out of it.
New York Times
Very hard to take with the film sitting up and practically slobbering in its eagerness to prove how loveable it is.
There are some contrived and artificial moments in Fiddler, but it becomes more convincing, naturalistic, and involving as it goes on, and finally builds to a powerful climax. Full Review
The qualities that have kept the Broadway Fiddler running these seven years are in scant supply onscreen. Full Review
Ukrainian milkman Tevye clings desperately to the old Jewish traditions while all around him the world changes, day by day. His three daughters marry men he considers more and more unacceptable, and the ruling Russian government's anti-Semitism threatens to drive him from his home. Based on the enormously successful Broadway show with great performances and unforgettable songs. Academy Award Nominations: 8, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor--Topol. Academy Awards: 3, including Best (Adapted) Song Score.
Adventure | Family Interaction | Love Story | Passover | Jewish Heritage | Recommended | Theatrical Release
- Film adaptation of the successful Hal Prince-Jerome Robbins stage musical with the show's London star, Topol, in the starring role of Ukrainian milkman Tevye.
- The choreography was set by Jerome Robbins' assistant Tom Abbott, assisted by Sammy Bayes, and followed Robbins' stage dances as closely as possible.
- Shot on location in Lakenik, Yugoslavia.
Produced by Mirisch-Cartier.
- Additional cast: Paul Mann (Lazar Wolf); Rosalind Harris (Tzeitel); Michele Marsh (Hodel); Neva Small (Chava); Raymond Lovelock (Fyedka); Elaine Edwards (Shprintze); Candy Bonstein (Bielka); Shimen Ruskin (Mordcha); Alfie Scopp (Avram); Howard Goorney (Nachum); Barry Dennen (Mendel); Ruth Madoc (Fruma Sarah); Patience Collier (Grandma Tzeitel); Stella Courtney (Shandel); Jacob Kalich (Yankel); Brian Coburn (Berl); George Little (Hone); Stanley Fleet (Farcel); Arnold Diamond (Moishe); Marika Rivera (Rifka); and Mark Malicz (Ezekial).
- DVD Special Features: New Dolby Digital Soundtrack, Feature Length Commentary by Norman Jewison, 8-Page Trivia Booklet, Theatrical Trailer.
West Side Story (50th Anniversary Ed.) (Blu-ray + DVD)
$9.70 Super Savings
The Fabulous Baker Boys (Collector's Ed.) (Blu-Ray)
$29.70 Super Savings