The first casualty of war is innocence.
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$15.40 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$3.58 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-4 business days
Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 4, 2011
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Mgm (Video & Dvd)
- Note: Audio commentary by director Oliver Stone
- Audio commentary by military advisor Dale Dye
- Deleted and exnteded scenes with optional commentary by Oliver Stone
- Flashback to Platoon: Snapshot in time: 1967 - 1968; creating the 'Nam; raw wounds: the legacy of Platoon
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 4.0 - English, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe & Tom Berenger|
|Performer:||Francesco Quinn, Kevin Dillon, Johnny Depp, Keith David, Forest Whitaker, John C. McGinley & Richard Edson|
|Directed by||Oliver Stone|
|Edited by||Claire Simpson|
|Screenwriting by||Oliver Stone|
|Composition by||Georges Delerue|
|Produced by||Arnold Kopelson & A. Kitman Ho|
|Director of Photography:||Robert Richardson|
|Executive Production by||John Daly & Derek Gibson|
Academy Awards 1986 - Best Director: Oliver Stone
Academy Awards 1986 - Best Film Editing: Claire Simpson
Academy Awards 1986 - Best Picture
Academy Awards 1986 - Best Sound
Rating: 3/4 -- Precisely because Stone forces you to experience a grunt's tunnel vision and rage, Platoon is a film of inspiring empathy and awesome force. Curiously, that same tunnelvision in the end compromises Platoon. Full Review
...Intense....Very effective scenes....An impressive-looking production in all respects...
...Wrenching... - Recommended
It's not a film that will make film history, but intelligently takes advantage of that history to provide a shred of light to a sordid and still American debate. [Full Review in Spanish] Full Review
El Pais (Spain)
...With incredible set pieces and gripping firefights the belie the tiny budget, PLATOON's impact has barely diminished over the years...
4 stars out of 5 -- [A] phenomenon....Importantly, Stone captured something of what it felt like to fight in the war.
In PLATOON, Oliver Stone draws on his experience as an infantryman in Vietnam to convey the brutality of guerrilla warfare: the heat of the jungle, the brushes with such wildlife as snakes and leeches, and, most powerfully, the presence of the unseen enemy. Charlie Sheen stars as Chris, a raw recruit, or "new meat," who serves as the film's narrator. At first he wilts under the rigorous conditions of jungle life, freezes up in a fire fight, and wonders whether he'll be able to survive. But he gradually adapts and, as time goes by, begins to see that the platoon is divided into two groups. One consists of lifers, juicers, and subintelligent whites, the other of blacks and heads. Sgt. Barnes, a combat-loving burnout (Tom Berenger), is the informal leader of the lifers, and Sgt. Elias, a free spirit (Willem Dafoe), leads the latter group. When the platoon takes some gruesome losses, an enraged Barnes kills some Vietnamese and orders the burning of their village, outraging the temporarily absent Elias. As the conflict between these two reaches its tragic climax, Chris must decide what he really values. Widely regarded as one of the finest war films ever made, PLATOON reflects not only the United States' division over Vietnam but the timeless truths of battle: terror, disorientation, exhilaration, and horrible loss.
Action | Vietnam | Good Vs. Evil | Jungle | Recommended | Military | Disturbing | Theatrical Release | Vietnam War | Essential Cinema
- Theatrical Release: December 21, 1986
- PLATOON is number 83 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Greatest Movies.
- Estimated budget: $6 million.
- The film has grossed more than $150 million worldwide.
- Oliver Stone's first choices for the roles of Barnes and Elias were James Woods and Kevin Costner, respectively.
- Stone received a Bronze Star and a Purple Heart during his service in Vietnam.
- Set in 1967; Produced and released in 1986.
- Sales Rank: 19,050
- UPC: 027616077042
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2-DVD) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
$6 Super Savings