Mask (Director's Cut)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$8.40 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.60 (16% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: September 7, 2004
- Originally Released: 1985
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Features the original, never-released soundtrack by Bruce Springsteen that was created for the film but not included in the theatrical release.
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Director's Cut
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- DTS 5.1 English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Peter Bogdanovich - Director
- Production Interviews: Peter Bogdanovich - Director
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Eric Stoltz, Laura Dern, Cher & Sam Elliott|
|Performer:||Estelle Getty, Richard Dysart, Micole Mercurio, Lawrence Monoson, Dennis Burkley, Ben Piazza, Alexandra Powers, Kelly Jo Minter, Todd Allen & Nick Cassavetes|
|Directed by||Peter Bogdanovich|
|Edited by||Barbara Ford & Éva Gárdos|
|Screenwriting by||Anna Hamilton Phelan|
|Composition by||Dennis Ricotta|
|Produced by||Martin Starger & George Morfogen|
Academy Awards 1985 - Best Makeup
Cannes 1985 - Best Actress: Cher
...Stoltz is simply amazing in the variety, the humor and the absolute lack of self-pity with which he draws Rocky...
Los Angeles Times
...[The film] taps human feelings with a depth rarely felt in films. Beautifully acted and executed...
Directed with great sensitivity by Peter Bogdanovich, Cher portrays Rusty with an almost sweet vulnerability. Full Review
Bogdanovich invests the story with warmth, generosity and considerable power. Full Review
Rating: 3/4 -- A good movie that could have been a great one with a little more restraint. Full Review
Rating: 4/5 -- Three great performances (and some great make-up) anchor this tale of facial deformity.
Rating: 4/5 -- Complex, moving story most appropriate for teens. Full Review
Common Sense Media
Director Peter Bogdanovich brings the inspirational, true story of Rocky Dennis (Eric Stoltz) to life in MASK. Despite being born with craniodiaphyseal dysplasia, a disease resulting in disfigurement of the bones of the face and head, Rocky is a typical teen: he collects baseball cards, plans to take a Harley through Europe, and excels at school. His devoted, yet substance-abusing mother, Rusty (Cher), along with her warmhearted biker friends, will do anything to ensure that Rocky is allowed to live as normal a life as possible. Rocky's positive outlook and spirit win him friends and supporters wherever he goes--at school, at the hospital, and while working at a camp for the blind, where he finds love with beautiful Diana (Laura Dern). Stoltz is extraordinary as Rocky, instilling him with warmth and verve. The film also features Sam Elliott as Rusty's love interest, Gar, rounding off a uniformly fine cast.
Based on the life of Rocky Dennis, MASK tells the uplifting story of a young man who suffered from a disfiguring congenital condition. The film movingly demonstrates the falsehood inherent in the world of appearances and the true nature of prejudice. Eric Stoltz, Cher, and Sam Elliott give strong, true performances in this winning drama from Peter Bogdanovich (THE LAST PICTURE SHOW).
Tear Jerker | True Story | Personal Triumph | Heroes | Recommended | Parenthood | Physically Impaired | Theatrical Release | Teenagers | Biographical
- Theatrical release: January 1, 1985.
- The Cannes Film Festival named Cher Best Actress for her performance.
- Before MASK's release, director Peter Bogdanovich criticized his producers and Universal Studios for making changes in the film he felt were detrimental, including the elimination of the Bruce Springsteen score. Real-life Rocky Dennis was apparently a huge Springsteen fan, but using The Boss's songs would have been too costly for the low-budget production.
- The flm was originally rated R by the MPAA, but won a PG-13 rating on appeal.
Vintage Thrillers Collection (The Most Dangerous Game /...
$4.98 on Sale
Please Murder Me (1956) / A Life At Stake (1954) (Film Noir...
$5.95 on Sale