Lena Horne At The Waldorf Astoria / At The Sands
|MASSIVE CD SALE:||$5.98 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$10.99 (65% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: RCA-LSO-1028 (1957)
- Original Album #2: RCA-LSP-2364 (1961)
Description by OLDIES.com:
These two "live" albums - one recorded at the Waldorf Astoria in New York and the other as the Sands in Las Vegas - show Lena Horne in her ideal surroundings, that of a nightclub. On both recordings, the orchestra was conducted by her husband, the late Lennie Hayton.
- 1.Today I Love Everybody
- 2.Let Me Love You
- 3.Come Runnin'
- 4.Cole Porter Medley: How's Your Romance? / After You / Love Of My Life / It'S All Right With Me
- 5.Mood Indigo / I'm Beginning To See The Light
- 6.How You Say It
- 7.Honeysuckle Rose
- 8.Day In - Day Out
- 9.New Fangled Tango
- 10.I Love To Love
- 11.From This Moment On
- 13.The Man I Love
- 14.Get Rid Of Monday
- 15.Jule Styne Medley: A Ride On A Rainbow / Never Never Land / I Said No / Some People
- 16.You Don't Have To Know The Language
- 17.Out Of My Continental Mind
- 18.Rodgers And Hammerstein
- 19.Harburg Medley: Thrill Me / What Is There To Say / The Begat
- 20.Don't Commit The Crime
2 LPs on 1 CD: AT THE WALDORF ASTORIA (1957)/AT THE SANDS (1961).
Personnel includes: Lena Horne (vocals); Lennie Hayton (conductor).
Recorded live at the Waldorf Astoria, New York, New York and the Sands, Las Vegas, Nevada on Feburary 20, 1957 and November 3-5, 1960. Originally released on RCA (1038) & RCA (2364).
Recording information: Empire Room, Waldorf Astoria (02/20/1957-11/05/1960); Sands Hotel, Las Vegas, NV (02/20/1957-11/05/1960).
Vocalist Lena Horne is most widely known for her film appearances and nightclub performances, and this excellent collection offers up two of the latter, one live set from 1957 at New York City's prestigious Waldorf Astoria Hotel and another from 1960 at Las Vegas's renowned Sands venue. And as this 20-track release makes clear, the Brooklyn-born singer was often more comfortable in front of an audience than in the studio.
Rather than relying on signature tunes such as "Stormy Weather," Horne goes for more adventurous set lists that include energetic numbers such as "Come Runnin'" and "New Fangled Tango," along with medleys of beloved composers, including Duke Ellington, Cole Porter, and Rodgers & Hammerstein. With both performances featuring orchestras conducted by Horne's husband, Lennie Hayton, these are two of the singer's most successful and highly regarded albums, making this two-for-one disc a must-have for '50s and '60s pop-vocal fans.
Miriam MakebaEvening with Belafonte & Makeba / The Magic of Makeba (CD)
$5.98 CD Sale
- Sales Rank: 9,852
- UPC: 090431284124
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of Christmas: 25 Original Hits by the Original... (CD)
$5.98 CD Sale
The Very Best of the Cole Porter Songbook: 50 Original... (CD) NEW
$7.98 CD Sale