Barbara Rosene All My Life
- Released: February 7, 2007
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Azica
- $0.99 on iTunes1.All My Life
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Till Then
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Stairway to the Stars
- $0.99 on iTunes4.(How Little It Matters) How Little We Know
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Fools Rush In
- $0.99 on iTunes6.You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Blame It on My Mouth
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Until the Real Thing Comes Along
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Trust in Me
- $0.99 on iTunes10.You Are Too Beautiful
- $0.99 on iTunes11.What Is There to Say
- $0.99 on iTunes12.It Could Happen to You
- $0.99 on iTunes13.I'll Look Around
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Barbara Rosene (vocals); Peter Martinez (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Simon Wettenhall (trumpet, flugelhorn); Tom Roberts (piano); Kevin Dorn (drums).
Audio Mixer: Frank Vale.
Liner Note Author: Michael Steinman.
Arrangers: Peter Martinez ; Tom Roberts.
On her first two recordings, Deep Night and Ev'rything's Made for Love, both made for the Stomp Off label, Barbara Rosene showed how comfortable and natural she is singing material from the 1920s. Rather than copying her predecessors, she sounds very much like herself. All My Life moves Rosene up to the 1930s, '40s, and '50s, displaying her talents as a creative and warm swing singer. Her beautiful voice perfectly fits the material, as does her subtle improvising. Backed by a fine jazz quintet that includes trumpeter Simon Wettenhall, Peter Martinez on clarinet and tenor, and pianist Tom Roberts, Rosene makes the vintage material sound fresh, lively, and sometimes touching. Among the highlights are such superior songs as "Till Then," "Fools Rush In," "Trust in Me," and "It Could Happen to You." While listening to these tunes, it becomes clear that Barbara Rosene really knows the meaning behind the lyrics, and she sometimes brings out hidden beauty in even the most familiar songs. Even on the sadder ballads, All My Life is a musical joy. It is highly recommended. ~ Scott Yanow