Nina Simone At Town Hall / The Amazing Nina Simone
Available: Usually ships in 2-5 business days
- Released: September 7, 2010
- Originally Released: 2010
- Label: Ais
- 1.Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair
- 2.Exactly Like You
- 3.The Other Woman
- 4.Under the Lowest
- 5.You Can Have Him
- 8.Cotton-Eyed Joe
- 9.Return Home
- 10.Wild Is the Wind
- 11.Fine and Mellow
- 12.Blue Prelude
- 13.Children Go Where I Send You
- 14.Tomorrow (We Will Meet Once More)
- 15.Stompin' at the Savoy
- 16.It Might as Well Be Spring
- 17.You've Been Gone Too Long
- 18.That's Him Over There
- 19.Chilly Winds Don't Blow
- 20.Theme from "The Middle of the Night"
- 21.Can't Get Out of This Mood
- 22.Willow Weep for Me
- 24.Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Personnel: Nina Simone (vocals, piano); Albert "Tootie" Heath (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Don Ross ; Mike Ut; Howard Berk.
Recording information: New York (05/1959); Town Hall, New York (05/1959); New York (09/12/1959); Town Hall, New York (09/12/1959).
The two albums enclosed in At Town Hall/The Amazing Nina Simone bookend the remarkable summer of 1959 in the career of Nina Simone, when she recorded a studio session, The Amazing Nina Simone, in May, and in September appeared At Town Hall in a superlative performance that was recorded and soon issued. Just 26, Simone displayed great assurance, especially on the live date, casting off the cloak of the vocal jazz/standards singer and performing with her own trio featuring her lively piano. The studio date features an orchestra, but it too finds her early on in her recording career stamping her voice on standards "Willow Weep for Me" and "Blue Prelude." ~ John Bush
Bob DylanThe Bootleg Series, Volume 15: Travelin' Thru (3-CD)
Nina SimoneLittle Girl Blue: The Stereo & Mono Versions (2-CD)
$6.98 on Sale