|SUPER SAVINGS:||$5.97 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: August 4, 2009
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Uncut - 9/01, p.1025 stars out of 5 - "...His masterpiece....Parker entered a whole new dimension..."
CMJ - 1/5/04, p.6Ranked #16 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1979".
- 1.Discovering Japan
- 2.Local Girls
- 3.Nobody Hurts You
- 4.You Can't Be Too Strong
- 5.Passion Is No Ordinary Word
- 6.Saturday Nite Is Dead
- 7.Love Gets You Twisted
- 9.Waiting For The UFO's
- 10.Don't Get Excited
- 11.Discovering Japan - (previously unreleased, live)
- 12.Local Girls - (previously unreleased, live)
- 13.Nobody Hurts You - (previously unreleased, live)
- 14.You Can't Be Too Strong - (previously unreleased, live)
- 15.Passion Is No Ordinary Word - (previously unreleased, live)
- 16.Saturday Nite Is Dead - (previously unreleased, live)
- 17.Love Gets You Twisted - (previously unreleased, live)
- 18.Protection - (previously unreleased, live)
- 19.Waiting For The UFO's - (previously unreleased, live)
- 20.Don't Get Excited - (previously unreleased, live)
- 21.I Want You Back (Alive) - (previously unreleased, live)
- 22.Mercury Poisoning - (previously unreleased, live)
This is a remastered version of SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS, combined with LIVE SPARKS, a live version of the entire album (plus two songs) originally only released as a promotional LP.
SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS personnel: Graham Parker (vocals, guitar); Brinsley Schwarz, Martin Belmont (guitar, background vocals); Bob Andrews (keyboards, background vocals); Andrew Bodnar (bass); Steve Goulding (drums, background vocals).
SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS producer: Jack Nitzsche.
SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS engineer: Mark Howlett.
SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS was recorded at Lansdowne Studios, London, California. Originally released in 1979.
LIVE SPARKS was recorded live in San Francisco, California on April 9, 1979 and Chicago, Illinois on April 28, 1979.
Includes liner notes by Graham Parker and Ira Robbins.
Personnel: Graham Parker (vocals); Brinsley Schwarz (guitar, background vocals); Bob Andrews (keyboards, background vocals); Martin Belmont (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Graham Parker.
Graham Parker's heat and fury turn past the boiling part on SQUEEZING OUT SPARKS. At this point, Parker had transformed his traditional roots into a sound of his own, equal parts pub band and bone-deep desperation. The results help make this the definitive Graham Parker document. It's also an unsettling album, at times scary.
The churning opener, "Discovering Japan," is the sound of dislocation, of isolation in a whirlwind. "Local Girls" places the bitterness right in your hometown with a killer radio-friendly hook. Though the centerpiece, "You Can't Be Too Strong," scalds everything in its path, it's still the most quiet moment on the album. An unflinching tale of an abortion, the song reverberates with emotional sinkholes. The Arista reissue includes a bolstered sound, typically rewarding liner notes from Parker himself, and an additional live CD of the album in its entirety.
- Sales Rank: 4,477
- UPC: 886974874522
- Shipping Weight: 0.19/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
100 No. 1 Hits of the '60s: 100 Original Recordings (4-CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
$12.98 on SALE
Happy Days: 75 Classic Sounds from the Rock 'n' Roll Years... (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
$9.98 Super Savings
100 Doo Wop Hits: 100 Original Doo-Wop Classics (4-CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$12.98 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - History of Rock: The Rockin' 60's, Part 1 (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$2.98 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$2.98 Super Savings