A Bridge Too Far
Available: Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 56 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 20, 1998
- Originally Released: 1977
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||James Caan, Michael Caine, Sean Connery, Edward Fox, Elliott Gould, Gene Hackman, Laurence Olivier & Denholm Elliott|
|Directed by||Richard Attenborough|
|Edited by||Antony Gibbs|
|Screenwriting by||William Goldman|
|Composition by||John Addison|
|Director of Photography:||Geoffrey Unsworth|
...The last cast-of-thousands, star-studded war movie ever made, Attenborough's three-hour epic deserves repeated viewing... -- 4 Stars
Rating: 3.5/4 -- Consistently reinforces the horrors of war by depicting not only the disasterous military engagements and their toll on heroes, but also the witless political decisions that led to needless, excessive loss of life. [Blu-Ray] Full Review
Rating: D -- A very long slog. Full Review
...Certainly equal to Darryl F. Zanuck's THE LONGEST DAY....One watches it not so much in admiration as in awe...
New York Times
Running just under three hours, it's far too long but it's not bad. Sometimes it's quite good. Full Review
Gannett News Service
Rating: 3/5 -- Impressive enough. Full Review
Futility and frustration are the overriding emotional elements in A Bridge Too Far, Joseph E. Levine's sprawling Second World War production. Full Review
Richard Attenborough's ambitious, all-star adaptation (by William Goldman) of Cornelius Ryan's book, gives an account of the Battle of Arnhem. In 1944, the Allied powers attempt to expedite the end of the war with a costly operation to capture six bridges connecting Holland to Germany ended in Allied defeat. A multitude of notables star in Attenborough's epic.
Director Richard Attenborough's ambitious, all-star, adaptation of Cornelius Ryan's book, dealing with the true account of the Battle of Arnhem. In 1944, the Allied powers attempted to expedite the end of the war by planning an ambitious and costly operation (the capturing of six bridges connecting Holland to Germany) that ended up getting bungled by both the Allied and Axis powers.
- Film was originally rated R by the MPAA, but won a PG on appeal.
- Color by Technicolor, deluxe prints. Shot in Panavision.
- Budget estimate $24 million.
- Additional cast: Peter Faber, Frank Grimes, and Christopher Good.
- Additional credits: Richard Bamber (2nd unit production manager), Ronnie Sloan (chief hairdresser), John Hilling (wardrobe master), Margaret Levin (wardrobe mistress), Connie Willis (continuity), Steve Lanning, Peter Waller, and Geoffrey Ryan (assistant directors), Dave Waterman and John Partington-Smith (parachute photography), and Joe Caroff (titles).
- Rated BBFC A by the British Board of Film Censors.
- DVD Special Features: 8-page Book Featuring Trivia, Production Notes and a Look Behind the Scenes, Theatrical Trailer
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (40th Anniversary Ed.) (2-DVD)
$12.60 Super Savings
Pineapple Express (Unrated) (Theatrical and Extended... (DVD)
$6.50 Super Savings
Hancock (Unrated) (Includes Exclusive "Hancock" Limited Ed.... (DVD)
$13.10 Super Savings
WWII - Confidential Films of World War II: More "Secrets"...
$6.98 on Sale
WWII - Nazi Concentration Camps (1945) / Nuremburg Trials...
$5.95 on Sale
WWII - Hellions of War: Rare Propaganda Films of World War...
$5.95 on Sale
Benghazi Desert War: The Fighting Rats of Tobruk / Desert...
$5.95 on Sale
WWI - 100th Anniversary Collection: 20 Documentaries (6-DVD)
$20.90 Super Savings